Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Portrait Palette Information

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I know there are several threads regarding palettes for this that and everything else. Problem is keeping up with such information scattered the way it is, frankly I needed a research point of entry. With all the info I can find, seems like menu portrait palettes are last of everybodies list as a concern. Going to start listing what I find, any contributions of knowledge or links on the subject would be helpful.

Code:
FF6/FF3 Info:
ED/5860 - ED/5ABF         (Menu portrait Palettes)

C3/6F00 - C3/6F1A         (Menu Portrait Palette Assignment Table - 1 byte each)

C3/6797:                  (Call for Menu Portrait palette Table)(For Naming Window)
C3/6C31:                  (Call for Menu Portrait palette Table)(For Menu Screen?)
C3/7CF5:                  (Call for Menu Portrait palette Table)

C3/67A8:                  (Load menu portrait palettes)(For Naming Window)
C3/6C41:                  (Load menu portrait palettes)
C3/7D05:                  (Load menu portrait palettes)

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Here's a few more:

Code:
C0/5104: Load character portrait (on the map, used during the ending)
C0/B394: Event command $E7: Set character portrait

C3/0A22-C3/0C6B: Code and data for menu portrait sprites
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • Catone (12-11-2015)

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Wait a moment: does portrait on the map have priority on dialogue boxes? if it's possible to place the portrait in any position of the screen, then you might put it next to dialogues and make work the current goal of Catone!

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
The way the portraits are allowed to be shown during the ending scenes for the characters that were not re-recruited, they require using 4 NPC #101 in order to house the portrait on the map, so that would be possible although highly impractical. I'd imagine this would require coding them in another way than the way it's done in the ending.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
perhaps make them work in a similar way of camera NPC?
PS. i always wondered how camera works, exactly... does it have a custom event for itself? if yes i might do really nice stuff with it...

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
For that, you'd have to account for VRAM. Loading the extra palette and portrait on top of everthing else that may be going on at such times, I'm gonna risk it and say the system couldn't handle it without serious sacrifices. It's also been researched pretty heavy once apon a time if I recall correctly, with very negative results.

While I don't remember the results of those previous test exactly, so I'm just guessing here, but it might be possible to load a sprite graphic onto the dialog box. Granted you'd have to add the code (something along the lines of how you add an actor's custom name in a dialog for instance) that would load a sprite pose from the "speaker's" sprite sheet. Think of it like a smiley emoticon, showing surprised/angry/embarassed/etc. Being that if they are speaking the sprite sheet and palette for that character is already on screen. Even if you couldn't load it directly into the text box the other option may be to dupe the sprite on screen and show them in the box (or directly next to it maybe).

Regardless thats, not the goal here. I was looking for info on portrait palettes and portraits in order to expand them and frankly, portrait palettes ain't got no loven' from nobody. So I figured I'd log what I dug up as well as open the door for anyone to inform me of something I missed, was ignorant of, or just flat out didn't know was attached to portraits and their palettes.

Also, thanks for the info, Everything. I would have missed that for sure.

The mention of dialog boxes was just a thought that went through my head as a side note. Figured why not discuss such a possibility and theorize if any more possible than the original concept of portraits in dialog.

And if I recall correctly, the camera is considered just another actor in events, yes it can be move shake and jive with the best of them. Although I have no desire to expand the camera's sprite sheet so don't ask.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find