Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Are dual techs possible?

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I have been messing with the hacking a bit for ff6 because I wanted to start my own project with a friend of mine. The premise being that a portal sends Crono and friends into the ff6 universe. However I reached a speed bump of sorts when I started thinking about dual and triple techs. Is it possible to implement dual techs and triple techs. Using the skill would have to make it so the other character loses a turn and it would also have to check if the correct characters were even in the party. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I could have swore this had been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

I want to say, it would be possible to emulate a dualtech type system, however, without doing some major coding you would have to set it up as a skill menu (like magitek or Rage) then give the characters the skill (something like that I'd suggest replacing the Def command on the battle menu in order to allow everybody the use of it without losing a command slot, technically).

At that point, the command would have to be filled with all of your dualtech/triple techs. Then you'd have to write checks that would make those skills behave properly while creating the skills. Maybe some fancy coding that would only populate the list with Techs that were usable at the time.

In short, possible, sure. Without some serious programming it would only emulate the system though. Even the emulated version would be pretty complicated. Don't let that stop you from trying, just be ready for a challenge if you attempt it.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Catone for this post:
  • MakkuChama (11-07-2015)

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Hmmm ok. I think I am going to start just trying to figure that part out. Like turn the first 6 characters (need rocks for magus anyway) you get into the cast and see if I can get the system working. thanks for the input. I suppose a good place to start is looking at how CT scripts them.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
... never thought of looking into how CT handles them... would like to hear your findings. Should be interesting regardless if it will transfer to FF6 or not.

That being said, keep in mind your talking about a whole system of working attacks. A system that is probably pretty large and intergrated into the core of CT. In other words, even if you learn CT's methods for doing it (again I'd really like to know what you find), I doubt FF6 has even the beginnings of such a system. Which means if you do a TRUE dualtech system, you'll most likely be writing it for every character, from the ground up.

Not trying to discourage you, just saying what I'd expect to encounter. Hence the suggestion of a pseodo tech system using a pre-set command window, then blanking commands based on if they could be used. Wish I could find that thread it was discussed in, I think it explained better than I am here.

Regardless, good luck, and please share your findings.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find