Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Issues with ZoneDoctor...

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
So I've been experimenting with ZoneDoctor recently and I've been trying to learn events by looking at events similar to what I want and just copying them.

So I went to make a new event, only to discover that I didn't have enough space for what I wanted to do. So I was wondering where I could save space and I checked and decided that I didn't want Umaro to be recruitable - just an optional superboss if you decide to go for the Magicite and he'd end up being able to give you Mog's best weapon - assuming the moogle was in your party.

Anyway, I erased all of his script except the necessary parts to keep it functioning, and then saved. When I went back to edit new stuff there, I found that his script was gone and replaced by...one of Mog's scripts?! O.o?

So I tested this with other NPCs in the game and sure enough, if I erased stuff from their scripts, they'd just borrow stuff from another NPC or...even stranger, the program would get bytes in the negative instead of positive - as would be normal when you are deleting stuff to make room.

So my question is - does anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it? >.> Because it's annoying.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
All I know about ZoneDoctor is that it can be buggy sometimes. I usually edit events manually with a hex editor.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
As he said, Event editing is best done and learned directly. Zonedoctor is a cool program but event editing is just to open ended for a program to handle.

Example, there is more than enough space to add the event you mentioned, without deleting anything yet zonedoctor can't understand how to get to it.

Use it as a reference and as a tool to learn, but you'll only be able to do the really fun stuff if you get hands on directly.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Gah. Does the person who created the program visit here frequently?

I would learn how to manually edit it but I tried once before and it all just looks like a bunch of numbers and stuff. I wish I could learn how to read/understand it x.x
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
You wish you could learn event hacking?

*POOF!* Wish granted. You are now able to learn event hacking.

Yes, it is that simple. And yes, everybody had to start somewhere.

All Things Event Hacking

That is a good place to start. After that, there are plenty of other beginner resources, all you have to do is ask. Also, your absolutely correct, it IS just a bunch of "numbers and stuff". Hex code is 0-9 then A-F. 16 base counting system instead of a 10 base like normal numbers your used to.

00 = 0
0A = 10
0B = 11
10 = 17
FF = 255

While in the code, each pair equal a different command/value, but when it is all said and done, they really are JUST a bunch of numbers and stuff. Well, that is until YOU turn them into something more.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
If there's one improvement I could make to event editing, it'd be a mnemonic interpreter. It'd be less clumsy than numeric-based entry and less prone to interpretation error than using an editor, since it really is basically just assembly.
  Find