Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Editing text not selectable with FF3usME?

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Hey, I'm back.

I've been progressing with my hack, and I noticed while editing the text, I couldn't find certain types of in-battle text. For example, "Gained x Experience", or the Mysidian Rabbit's "Mugu Mugu?".
I didn't want to bother you guys, so I searched high and low, but unfortunately couldn't find anything. I want to slightly edit these lines and I can't find a way! Can anyone help me?

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
For those battle-related messages you will need to use a hex editor and load up a table file, we uploaded them here:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/tools/FF3usTbl.zip

You will want to load the battle table file in your hex editor, there should be an option for like Open Table File, in which you would select the battle one. These table files are made to translate certain byte-strings into words so you can easily search for and change them or w/e.
Depending on what you want to change it TO though, you might need to locate the pointer for the text in question and point it to some free space so you could move it in order to write a longer text if need be. I can help you locate the pointer for those ones you mentioned if that's what you wanna do, but for now just to answer the question, load up that battle table file and do a text search for "Mugu" which should bring you right to it at: D1/F069 - all the battle messages are located there starting at D1/F000

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Hey, thanks man! So far so good: The messages display as intended. Even though pointers to free space would be interesting enough, I managed to squeeze all intended text without exceeding the original space. Thanks!

EDIT
I hope this gets noticed, as it's an edit and not a full post and might get ignored because it won't appear on latest posts, maybe?

So anyway, can somebody tell me how to change the text on the status screen? The one that displays your characters and their health, you know? I need to change SwdTech and Blitz to more appropriate names...

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!