Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Creating a save point

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Hi everyone. This is my first time doing any rom hacking for FF6. I'm trying to create a save file at different parts of the game that don't normally have them, and have been able to copy them over from other locations of the game using ZoneDoctor. However, sometimes adding the event for the save point either doesn't function, or it breaks the entire rom.

Here is the script from the save event:
Code:
CC9AEB: {C0-B5-81-B3-5E-00}   If ($1E80($1B5) [$1EB6, bit 5] is set), branch to $ CA5EB3 (simply returns)
CC9AF1: {C0-33-01-01-9B-02}   If ($1E80($133) [$1EA6, bit 3] is clear), branch to $ CC9B01
CC9AF7: {F4-D1}               Play sound effect 209
CC9AF9: {55-80}               Flash screen with color component(s) $8 (Blue), at intensity 0
CC9AFB: {D2-B5}               Set event bit $1E80($1B5) [$1E96, bit 5]
CC9AFD: {D2-BF}               Set event bit $1E80($1BF) [$1E97, bit 7]
CC9AFF: {3A}                  Enable player to move while event commands execute
CC9B00: {FE}                  Return

I'm assuming I just need to call an event that registered $1E96/$1E97 to bit 5 and 7? Does that enable the save function in the menu? Could I just set this once and permanently enable the save command until I walk over it again?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Firstly, welcome to the site!

So creating a save point is two parts, one there needs to be the NPC created on the map, NPC 111 to be exact, with the 8.6 flag enabled for it's animation, and the walk under flag checked. Now this NPC needs to have it's event field set to 5EB3, which is $CA5EB3 (simply returns), or do nothing. Make sure you are putting that for the NPC's event field or it will freeze - when you create an NPC by default it sets it's event to 0, which will freeze the game, and I suspect that's what's happening to you when it doesn't function right.

The second part is there needs to also be an event trigger placed in the same exact spot as the NPC. And for that event trigger it needs to be set to 29AEB, which is indeed the code you posted and that looks correct. Just make sure to put that in the field property section, not the entrance event. The entrance event is for the whole map.

If you do both these things your save point should work. Just make sure you are copying over everything correctly using another save point as a reference, as they are all the same.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Murak Modder (06-01-2015), xDaygo (07-09-2020), Zei (06-02-2015)

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
This is very helpful for me and I was going to ask you a very similar question myself Senpai.

Thank you very much for your informative response! ^3^

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find