Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Overly Ambitious Project

Threads: 10
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
TL;DR: Check it out, making progress towards a browser based FF6 ff3.herokuapp.com/?map=75

Hello everyone... been gone from this scene for quite a few year but just for fun I tried out an old idea that I failed at a few years ago, but surprisingly seems to be working! The project is two-fold. First is to rip out the various resources in the FF3 ROM and put them together into a playable format on the web. Second is to build tools that allow people to create new playable story lines using all these resources (essentially remaking the game).

As you may well know despite being just over 3MHz the SNES could manage some pretty impressive graphics. 3 independently scrollable layers, 2 with priorities (amounting to 5 effective layers to draw) + the sprite layer. Animated tiles, palette replacement. Well, last time I tried it, I couldn't manage to get that working in a browser, but now I have (minus layer 3 for now, but that's just because I'm to lazy to figure out those graphics again at the moment).

Anyway, the full scope of this project is probably too much to manage, but we'll see. Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated with progress. Currently, maps and sprites display and I've got all the sprites moving around randomly. Pretty useless but fun.

Oh... and I'm only testing in Chrome and Firefox for the moment, I don't know what else does / doesn't work. Firefox is a little smoother.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 237
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
This is pretty cool but it's a very ambitious project. I wish you the best of luck!
  Find

Threads: 10
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Obviously, I agree, but I'm curious what you think the pain points going to be? Spell animations and that wave effect used for some BG's and water are the obvious things to me.

Oh, I meant to add too that all the code's available here https://github.com/hobberwickey/ff3

If you've got any questions about the map data, the answer's probably in there. Also if you feel like playing around with the code, contributing or whatever, please do.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 237
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(05-24-2015, 08:49 AM)sleepydude Wrote: Obviously, I agree, but I'm curious what you think the pain points going to be? Spell animations and that wave effect used for some BG's and water are the obvious things to me.

I was thinking mainly about animations in general (steal as an example) and spell animations. Also Mode 7 will be a challenge but I don't know if it's out of the scope of your project.

I'll take a look at the code every now and then, I'd like to contribute but I've got my hands full with my expanded monster editor for now.
  Find