Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Silhouettes

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
So trying to figure out how the game makes the blacked out silhouette of Sabin's sprite on Mt. Koltz so I can utilize it for other events. Looking at Mt. Koltz on FF6LE it shows his palette as 6 instead of 0, but when i change the npc palette to 6 elsewhere, it just makes the character all ghost-looking. I am assuming it has to do with how the sprite is loaded but i can't seem to find the information on how to discern how the npc data is broken down, just merely where it's located (and unlike the event dump, i can't figure out where it ends either.

to simplify for anyone daring to try to help my feeble mind, the offsets for sabin on mt. koltz are
$C4/2D90 and
$C4/2D99

maybe if no one wants(or can) to answer this directly, sending me to a suitable thread/article that explains the general hex break down of the npcs i'd appreciate it. thanks for your time either way.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
that sprite can be found in ff sprite editor its easy enough to change its under all the espers

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Huh??? Surprised that sprite has only the shape of Sabin, while casting TigerBreak! how is that sprite supposed to making become black Sabin's sprite?

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
It colors that Sabin NPC (or is it vargas...?) black by entrance event. Palete 6 is a placeholder palette that is coded to color the sprite depending on what the entrance event code tells it to color it as. If there is no entrance event code that modifies the background color range, it will not affect the palette 6 object/npc. So you would want to put your npc as palette 6, and then edit an entrance event for that map that modifies the background color range to your choice of palette, which would affect anything that is palette 6 on that map.

here's a thread that goes into a bit more detail about palette 6 and entrance events:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...nce+events

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Good, that makes a lot of sense! Wink

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I was just gonna add, the event that does it one time during that map is at CA/ED81 for a quick referance/look/example thing.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
None
Wow, somehow I didn't realize I actually got any replies on this thread. Found them by searching for information on this exact topic again.Laugh

Ok, so the only other things I need to see about here are:
1) The entrance event when you first enter South Figaro and Shadow walks away from you into the Pub
2) How to call the entrance event. The address you provided Catone is to the event, but I don't see how that event gets activated. I would have assumed it happened when it loaded the map to that part of Mt. Kolts, but that map doesn't load throughout the whole event script. I have checked so many times it's not even funny, but I am going to check again. Hit

I'm ready to kick this topic to the curb already so after those two things (and maybe a few more that I can find elsewhere without bothering you guys, like how to relocate the event so I have room for the blacked out sprite.) Thanks again guys for the help.
  Find

Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Check the mapeditor and that map.

Some events activate via NPC interaction, others actived via event tiles (the green ones).

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Yeah what Catone said.

I'm not sure what your question is exactly or what you'd like to do so I'm just going to explain what's happening: the South Figaro one (Shadow walking to the pub) is purely done via entrance event, which you correctly noted. Entrance events get called every single time the map is loaded or refreshed. So when you first enter map 04B, South Figaro WoB, (using the level editor as a reference) the entrance event is EBA1. So looking at the event dump document at CA/EBA1 you'll see a check for an event bit:
CA/EBA7: C0 If ($1E80($00A) [$1E81, bit 2] is set), branch to $CAEBC1
That check will look like C0 0A 80 C1 EB 00 in the actual hex.

$00A is this one here: 00A 81:2 Saw Shadow heading toward the cafe.
If this bit is already set, which it does at the end of that part of the event after he is done walking to the cafe, then it will branch and skip that whole part of the code next time the map is loaded and branch instead to CA/EBC1 This is why and how it only does it once, the very first time.

And for the Mount Kolts ones, the event triggers, while it's the entrance event that is responsible for the shadowy silhouette coloring, the event triggers are what does the creation and movement of that NPC there in that case, among other things like doing a check bit as well so it only happens once. But yeah once you walk over it, it reads the code and that happens. Just enable event triggers to be viewed at the top of the level editor there to see them, they will be shown as green squares like Catone said. You can see their address and locate them in the event dump document the same way and do whatever you'd like to do in the code for them. Or just delete them in the level editor if you don't want them to trigger at all obviously.

Edit:
Oh and for moving/relocating events you will need to use the jump command, which is B2. You put B2 and the address you want to jump to where you have free space and it will do just that. B2 XX YY ZZ. Where XX is the last byte of the address, YY is the middle, and ZZ is the first byte...

So for instance B2 50 25 00 would have you jump to CA/2550. It gets reversed a little you see, going last byte of the address first, then the middle, than the bank. This system of how the address is called in the jump is called "Little Endian" I believe, in technical coding terms.

So to jump to the F1 bank, which is where there is tons of free space once you expand the ROM, that is '27'.
A bank is 00, B bank is 01, C bank is 02, and then all the way down at F1 it becomes 27. So a jump to F1/5000, would be B2 00 50 27. A jump to F2/1200 would be B2 00 12 28. etc.

Might sound confusing at first but after a couple practice runs it should become easy and make since.
You can move whole events this way or just use the technique if you need some extra room in some other event without moving the whole thing. In order to return back to the original code/address you just need to slap an FE byte at the end - that is the byte to return to the previous instruction, and/or also to just end an event. Or, sometimes you might need to do another B2 jump back to the correct address you jumped from, the following next bytes right after the jump, so the code continues to read seamlessly. This jumping to and back again can be thought of as a boomerang of sorts. It depends on various things on which way to jump back, but usually just putting an FE will do it. I can try to elaborate about this whole jumping technique or anything else more if needed, but this is really all there is to it. Tons of free space in the F banks once you expand the ROM.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
OK, so I definitely understand the jump principle now, I have expanded my rom as large as ff3usme lets, because I frankly couldn't see a reason to leave condensed. So yeah, will work on moving some events so I can expand on them. Thanks for that.

In ff6le I know about the event squares, that is how I have found my way around certain events, and I have tried every method I can imagine to find the entrance events, and I thought I had found it once, but then I still couldn't find the part of the event that controlled Shadow's actions. If I could find that code I should be able to just add the same code that catone gave me from the Mt. Kolts event and presto, shadowy figure. (BTW, the sprite on Mt. Kolts is definitely Sabin, and was always supposed to be Sabin as far as I was concerned. That line about Vargas following you is nonsense.)

So just to give up the ghost so that I can get this sorted, Shadow has replaced Locke as your 2nd actor, so it clearly doesn't make sense to have Shadow in SF. So I wanted the entirety of SF to be about Sabin and Duncan and such and their philanthorpy and good-doing while the Nobels rub elbows with the empire type scenario. So to see Sabin earlier in SF makes perfect sense, but to have him so obviously exposed that early ruins a little suspense and makes him being silhouetted on the Mt. silly. So there's the story.. I have looked and looked, and for some reason my brain won't let me continue until I get over this hurdle. Been hanging me up since April, and with the limited time I get to work on this, that's very detrimental. I even just considered removing it all together (I could probably just make it branch as if the bit is already set without checking) but I want it to be there. The foreshadowing is important to me, but I'll remove it if I have to. (Though just leaves a bunch more junk code in the ROM, which is never a great thing.) Thanks so much for the help, it'll be really stupid if I'm just missing something in the level editor and I could have moved one month's ago. Cover
  Find