Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Change the Health command effect

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
For my hack, I would like to change the effect of the Health command from casting Cura with no MP usage, to casting Scan with no MP usage. I heard this would be possible, but I'm not that sure how. Can anybody help me?

[Image: kung_ku.png]
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 21
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Code:
Health

C2/171E: A9 2E        LDA #$2E            (Cure 2)
C2/1720: 85 B6        STA $B6              (Set spell/animation)
C2/1722: A9 05        LDA #$05
C2/1724: 80 3F        BRA $1765

Edit: This is from C2 bank disassembly, unedited. Try to change the following line and see if it works:

Code:
C2/171E: A9 18        LDA #$18            (Scan)
  Find

Threads: 14
Status
None
Should I edit this with WindHex? I got the program but I just can't find this string. Or is it an another program?

[Image: kung_ku.png]
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
+200 if you have a headered ROM. If windhex will also need to set it to Option -> Display Offset as... -> SNES Hi-Rom for it to show as "C2/171E" headerless or as "C2/191E" headered.

Without setting it to SNES Hi-Rom the address will be shown as 02171E non-headered.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Thanks Received: 21
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Yeah, any hex editor should be fine.

The addresses above are SNES addresses after the game loads. To find the correct ROM address we need to do: SNES address - C00000

C2171E - C00000 = 02171E

02171E is the location in an unheadered ROM, so if we have an smc header we add 0x200

02171E + 200 = 02191E in a headered ROM

so ready to go?:
Code:
ADDRESS   HEX          ASM
0x02191E: A9 18        LDA #$18            (Scan)
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
No thread hijacking intended here, but I do want to ask a related question: Is it possible to alter Health so that (without changing the base power, targeting, or that it's a curing command) it will ignore Reflect as well as not do split damage (er, healing, I suppose), without being forced to alter the Cure 2 spell as well? (Reason being, since in my hack, I want to make Health available on a non-guest character, meaning it'll be around for a lot more of the game than in base, but it just looks wrong to me, seeing Health getting reflected and reverting to an obvious Cure 2 spell, heh. And well, I just think that, since it's arguably not a spell, at least aesthetically or whatever, anyway, it shouldn't necessarily be subject to the same rules as spells. (Meaning if I don't want it to be Reflectable or do split damage/healing, then it shouldn't, heh.) I know almost nothing about hex editing, but I do have a friend helping me beta test (as well as contribute ideas to) my hack that can do some hex editing, so I can at least ask him help there, should that be necessary.
  Find

Status
None
@Bohepans - As far as I know, it would be easiest to simply go into ff3usme and go into the spell editor and change cure 2 to simply not be reflected and also tick 'no damage split' box and you'll get your goal.

Which will also mean that only Cure 2 will be slightly stronger than its intended to be and won't reflect, but it won't come up too often ingame I'd imagine unless you had modified enemy AI.

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Status
Zombie
Your best course of action would probably be what Smilin' Joe suggested and just edit Cure2 spell.

To go about changing the skill Health to work like that, I'm fairly sure you'll have to not just edit, but write new code. There might, and I say MIGHT be a way to just branch off of the command to a pre existing piece of code that sets special targeting instructions but again that would require knowing/understanding code as well as hex.

It has been awhile since I've looked at it though, I'll look later if have a chance see if anything stands out, maybe its more simple than I recall but as of this time I'm still going to agree that editing the spell is your best bet.

Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I could leave well enough alone if there's simply no way around it without changing Cure 2 as well, but I was curious, and can't know if you don't ask, so I figured it was worth asking. I mean making Cure 2 (and just Cure 2) changed in that manner might not get noticed anyway (as I don't imagine it'll come up often that a potential player of my hack would choose a spread Cure 2 over the Health command), so I may still consider it regardless. Either way, I did want to ask, see if that door could be opened, as that'd be the way I'd prefer to go.
  Find

Status
Zombie
Actually, after some looking... it might be very easy.

At C2/18F5 in the C2 disassembly, items are set with a "not reflectable" flag during the command using:

0C A3 11 TSB $11A3

If that is all it takes, then working it into the Health skill wouldn't be hard at all. I also seem to remember a patch that made Magitek skills non-reflectable (maybe it made them reflectable... I don't remember) eitherway, looking at the code for that, and the line I listed above, yeah it might be that easy.

Regretfully I don't have the time or tools to try it out right now or give better instruction on how to attempt it, but it shouldn't require a month of learning code to do.

Find