Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My first day, and already disappointment...

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
First off, you're already getting better. First you were just talking about Zone Doctor, now your posting Offsets and lines of code. So yes, that's a step in the proper direction.

Second, don't expect that link thread to make a whole lot of sense at this point. You needed to read it for sure, but it IS a little advanced at a beginner level. That being said, by reading it you did pick up a little bit and it introduced you to some things. After you've gain a little proficiency, go back and read it again. You'd be amazed at how much info you missed the first time.

Now, if you haven't already done it, get a copy of:
  1. Event Script
  2. Event Commands
I'd get you a link but they are not overly hard to find (and its a bit of a pain to hunt them down while I'm at work). If you don't have them, or absolutely can't find them, I'll get you a link when I'm able.

This is all from the Event Script document.

Code:
CC/A621: 40 01 01       Assign properties $01 to character $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A624: 3D 01        Create object $01
CC/A626: 37 01 01        Assign graphics $01 to object $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A629: 43 01 01        Assign palette $01 to character $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A62C: 45            Refresh objects
That's where Locke gets created for the first time.

Code:
CA/7CA1: 40 03 03        Assign properties $03 to character $03 (Actor in stot 3)
CA/7CA4: 7F 03 03        Change character $03's name to $03 (SHADOW)
CA/7CA7: 37 03 03        Assign graphics $03 to object $03 (Actor in stot 3)
CA/7CAA: 43 03 04        Assign palette $04 to character $03 (Actor in stot 3)
CA/7CAD: 98 03        Invoke name change screen for character $03 (Actor in stot 3)
That's where Shadow gets created for the first time. (Just for referance).

Keep in mind alot of the stuff after the Command (The first byte) is entered in reverse... well sometimes anyway. (Look at CA/7CAA for example. 43 is the command, 03 is the actor your changing, and 04 is the palette you are assigning. Hence, 43 03 04 is Assign - Actor 03 - Palette -04)

Not sure if you understood that part or not, it doesn't really stand out on someone like Locke because the Character and Palette are the same number, so just pointing it out.

Now, Compare those two blocks of code, if you want to turn Locke into Shadow using the event, you could do this:
Code:
CC/A621: 40 01 03       Assign properties $03 to character $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A624: 3D 01        Create object $01
CC/A626: 37 01 03        Assign graphics $03 to object $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A629: 43 01 04        Assign palette $04 to character $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A62C: 45            Refresh objects

Now, if I did that correctly, Actor 01 should be loaded effectively as Shadow. This would stick until another event replaced it. Not sure when that happens with Locke but it happens often with Shadow, I think. And I'm pretty sure you'd still have to set the other palette at the other offset from that linked thread (For overworld palette). But that should give you something to play with.

The line at CC/A621 for Properties, will give him the skills and stats of Shadow if set to 03, you might want to leave that at 01 if you want to have the Steal command, or edit the character properties in FF3usME for Shadow, but that's another story.

Also, those offsets (as well as the entire Event Script) are for a ROM with NO header. (A header being 200 bytes of 00 at the start of the ROM btw). So if your ROM has a header, you would add 200 to that (CC/A621 for a headerless rom is CC/A821 on a Headered ROM). If you have a ROM with NO header, then don't add 200.

It's early, I'm still drinking my coffee, and in a hurry so I probably missed something. Typing this out from work isn't idea either so... make a backup, give it a try and see what happens. Post your results, more questions, etc and we'll go from there. Good luck

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
That info greatly helps. I was not aware that the bytes were read inverted. I did know about the header (my ROM does not have one). I do have the event script, and the event commands (thought heavy event editing is a little while away) . I first want to create my story with my cast and then if I feel like something is necessary to change, I'll tackle those long threads of "move object down 4 tiles, pause 4*4 (16) units" and such. This I'd starting to make sense, I'll have to post tonight the code I'm finding for battle sprites and over world sprites, because it didn't seem to equate and maybe once I get that part down I can get the ball rolling for sure. Still need to research changing the portraits too, but that's another time. Thanks for your help catone. Hopefully I can get through this tonight and work on finding the rest of the occasions where I'll need to swap sprites (going to be a lot of NPC sprites for Shadow I gather).
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Just take one step at a time, learn as you go. Stick with it, and 20 edits down the road you'll look back at swapping palettes like it was simple as flipping a switch.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
None
Had a chance to come home for lunch, and success! I have switched Locke with Shadow, and even got some animations changed during his opening scene, though not completely satisfied with them. Changed the song that plays (though I never quite knew why Shadow's song was all western-y sounding), and I was trying to verify dog block, but ran out of time.. all in all, a pretty productive lunch. Thank you guys for your help, I think this case is closed now. Until next time... ... ...
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(03-20-2015, 12:08 AM)justincreedon Wrote: by the way, sorry about any bad form this is really the first forum I've been on that anyone's replied to, so I'm not real savvy with all tools for making code and such, hope it's not too confusing this way.

No worries, not everybody is a forum master. Hold on As long as you have some degree of common sense this forum is never going to jump down your throat. Sometimes moderators/users on larger forums can be trigger happy, but if it's a minor thing like a formatting error nobody on here will do anything more than drop advice on how to do it correctly.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
Yes, after several years of trying automotive forums just to get nowhere, this has truly restored my faith in community. Tongue Thanks everyone for their help.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Lucky-Girl
We're one big happy family here. I can't think of anyone here who wouldn't gladly help you out with your issues.

Welcome, by the way! I'm glad to see someone new progressing so far so quickly.

"The doom and gloom is justified.
A couple of people are going to die.
Even though you can turn back the time,
you're always a moment too late!"
  Find