Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Narsh Battlefield Ex... Boosted!

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Why "boosted"? I didn't want to do another "expanded" title.

I got the hankering to do some kind of event, and frankly I'm just not creative enough to come up with a big enough skit to satisfy the urge. So, instead I went to the Narsh Battlefield (Kefka, lots of soldiers, etc.) I've never lost at this part, ever, I think its time the Empire tried a little harder to get that esper. Besides you really think Kefka has any concern about how many soldiers you kill? Yeah right, he'd keep throwing bodies at you till you finally just gave up from the smell.

Right now I'm just working my way through the stock script, adding a few things and basically just getting to know it... with a machette. Chopping that thing up in to little pieces, sectional stuff just seems easier to keep track of and add to.

So far:
  • 6 new soldiers ( was 12, now 18 attackers)
  • All new troops are created, and have instructions on how to line up

I've only been on this a day or two so yes, that list is short. What is planned?
  • The 6 new soldiers will be "blitzkrieg" style. They won't be boss class, but you'll have less time to get ready for the battle to start. They gonna be moving with a purpose.
  • At least 4 or 6 of the first soldiers across the field are going to get "recycled". Meaning even more extra enemies on the field.
  • Banon is gonna get off his lazy ... and work for a change. He'll be added to the roster for this battle only.

Yeah, I'm looking at over 20 soldiers running across this battlefield (or more), not just one little platoon of slackers. The enemy gets heavily re-enforced, what do you get? Yep, Banon. I'm gonna replace his role with the Elder from Narsh, and make him get in the fight (this is supposed to be a SERIOUS issue, "The Empire Cometh!" type stuff. Why should he get to sit back and watch?) That will actually be a lot of help if you think about it. This is gonna be an endurance trial, not just a battle, that Health skill will be a life saver.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
This is great! Though I have to admit that I used to resent that part... Not nearly as fun as the Moogle Bonanza Protection.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
Don't forget to remove the "game over if Banon dies" restriction.
  Find

Status
Zombie
lol, done gone and ruined the surprise Madsiur. I was gonna leave that in for a little extra challenge. Guess I should take it out though.

And if I do it right, you won't have time to resent it. You'll be to busy trying not to get swarmed.

Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Nice idea! Wink
I already had my personal ideas on how to make it work that battle in my hack too.

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Lucky-Girl
I have an idea... I don't know if it's possible...

But maybe the soldiers that come are infinitely spawned? Basically, an endless horde of soldiers, dogs and Magitek come your way, and each time you kill one, it respawns back at Kefka. And the only way to make it stop is to get to Kefka and beat him. This would mean you have to balance protecting Banon/Arvis, while also pushing your way through endless enemies to stop them at the source...

Maybe?

"The doom and gloom is justified.
A couple of people are going to die.
Even though you can turn back the time,
you're always a moment too late!"
  Find

Status
Zombie
Oh, I forgot about Arvis, I was actually gonna replace Banon with the old guy in green but Arvis would be even better.

As far as respawning, that's actually kinda what I meant by "recycle". Having a few of them respawn and start again, but I was only planning one more pass on each. The only reason against an endless respawn would be if you COULD get to Kefka with endless waves coming in. That being said, the only issue I ever had with that event personally was healing over that many battles. Adding Banon as a full party member with Health would go along way to make that easier (maybe even to easy) even with the extra soldiers already planned. So, having a few with a longish respawn period might be a good idea.

How to do it? Well, I was thinging of just adding a new block of commands to be run when that one soldier was killed that made him "respawn" and start again. For an indefinite respawn... branch to a new script on every death with an event bit check that is only cleared when Kefka dies, I'd think. So should be very possible. The real question is just how many can you throw at the party, how fast, and still make it possible to win? Guess it was only a matter of time before that question came up, and will require lots of testing and adjusting.

Good stuff.

Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
If I end up buying myself a decent laptop, I'd love to play test the part for you! I've never actually played any of these hacks, and want to start soon Laugh
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Lucky-Girl
Another idea is you could adjust the idea slightly... give that rider guard of Kefka's an actual function.

What I mean is maybe he can be someone who has the magical power to transport more soldiers to the battlefield. So if you get to him and you kill him, no more enemies will respawn. That's pretty fair, yeah?

"The doom and gloom is justified.
A couple of people are going to die.
Even though you can turn back the time,
you're always a moment too late!"
  Find

Status
Zombie
That idea I really like, the guard that most people just walk around and go for Kefka anyway, and I think I know how to make it work.

I was looking at the map last night, trying to figure out how to cram all this stuff in there and... well the soldiers I managed to make fit (didn't like the pre battle formation but it fit). Adding Banon to the good guys, there is just no clean way to do it. So the map has got to grow.

How does this tie in to Kefka's rider guard? Well he's getting a promotion to Field Marshal (the guy on the front lines that actually directs the troops). I'm going to move him up to about mid field. The reason not to bypass him? If you take him out, the reinforcments will stop or be severly slowed (with no officer to direct traffic on the front lines, yeah that would slow them down). This makes him an actual target, and it is an excuse to slow down the flow of incoming troops, which should give the player a chance to make a dive at Kefka while still feeling the pressure of the Empire's attack. Yes, I like that idea, thanks for the input!

Now if I can just properly edit that mountain/cave map to fit...

Find