Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[WIP] Birdo sprite

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
The purple yoshi girl is on fiiiire !!!

Tonight, I started working on a Birdo sprite sheet. Since Birdos and Yoshies have basically a similar frame, I started from my Yoshi sprite. For now, I just did the walking poses, the rest will follow later, for it's already 11:15 pm and I work tomorrow.

So here's a first preview of it.
[Image: ff6-style-birdo01.png]

[EDIT] Updated : Replaced magenta by a more pink hue, and narrowed the nose on side view.

[Image: ff6-style-birdo02.png]

Linux and GIMP user
------------------
Sabin : Kefka ! Wait !!!
Kefka : Wait, he said ? Do I look like a waiter ?

My DeviantART

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
Birdo needs to be more pink and less purple and Birdo also has some darker pink spots, but it's not a bad start, I am sure you implement that as time goes by. Try to distinguish it a bit from Yoshi in some of the animations. Like the ready to attack pose among others.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
work on the nose facing sideways a little, it shouldn't be so wide, good job though

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
Hello and thanks both for the advices.
Regarding the color, the tricky thing is that my PC's screen displays the purples more magenta-ish than my smartphone where the purples are more blue-ish. So, I replaced that magenta by a more pink color.

Here's the updated sprite :
[Image: ff6-style-birdo02.png]

By the way, if you have some times, I updated my Yoshi and Toad sprites in the corresponding topics and I'm waiting to know if there is some more modifications to do on them.

Linux and GIMP user
------------------

My DeviantART

Status
Runic
A few things
* Look at some of Birdo's sprites in the games she appeared in for some reference.
* Another suggestion, using your Yoshi sprite as an example, incorporate both of Yoshi/Birdo's eyes in the side-facing sprites, it makes them look more recognizable, because they are reptilian in appearance. Also try to incorporate the hole in Birdo's nose on her side-facing sprites.
* Some pose ideas, casting:Birdo's mouth opens and closes. Ready stance:Have Birdo's arms outstretched as if she's firing an egg.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 15
Thanks Given: 11
Status
Mental-Break
Looks like a fun sprite to mess with. I do think the front should be tweaked a bit to look more girly (bigger ribbon maybe). To me it looks like a pink dog with red ears =D , but then again you only see birdo diagonal in most games. If you need help with custom poses just holla, I would love to help
  Find

Threads: 91
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Crystal
Looks good so far. Birdo is a dude by the way
  Find

Status
Runic
(09-18-2014, 10:32 AM)henry Wrote: Looks good so far. Birdo is a dude by the way

That's what I have I heard.
  Find

Status
None
I was wondering when the "Gender Point" post would appear.
Actually, that reference in SMB2 booklet is a mistranslation from Japanese. That mention wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. Maybe she's a transgender (that would make her the first openly trans character in videogames history) but I think it's a good thing that we have some diversity in videogames. I myself am different, due to my low vision and the fact that I wasn't the most feminine (I was bullied at school for all of this), and I grew up with people having disabilities around me, and I have LGBT people among my friends and family (my cousin is lesbian and my geeky friend is bi). So I'm sensible to the disabled and LGBT causes.

Linux and GIMP user
------------------

My DeviantART

Threads: 91
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Crystal
I like to think of Birdo as a quirky gay dude that likes to cross-dress lol
  Find