Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Items

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I think it's time to push the pink elephant out of the room and try to get something moving. There was a big, big hack released recently (by tsushiy) called Final Fantasy VI T-edition, which is in Japanese and based on the Japanese rom. This hack does a ton of things. The most notable, and what I'm addressing here, is expansion of the items list and enemy list. There are 277 items (fully confirmed within the item menu; the arrows on the side run below the bottom), and 511 enemies (383+128)

This is something the community has commonly asked about, more notably the former. I think the only way we're going to get moving is if we try to accumulate all of the hook points as a group, in one document, and then possibly make a patch for it. I've been working on my own hack since '11, so I don't think a vanilla patch would work as I've filled a lot of freespace in the original rom space, but even having a list of hooks would be useful for the process.

I would also like to do this for the monster list, but I should really only ask one thing at a time.

Edit: should also mention, this will very likely require utilizing RAM in a way consoles don't allow for, so any hack implementing this may well not run on consoles.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I think the same thing. Maybe we could check how FF6 T-edition handles the item numbers. I think the Japanese version disassemblies are similar to the US version although the routine are not exactly at the same places. If I can run Geiger's debugger with this hack, I could probably figure some things out. I'll put my hands into this in the next few days.

Item expansion is something that has been asked many times, a documentation about it would greatly help the community.
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
He's moved a lot of things around in his hack, so a disassembly would be highly misleading. If anybody could reverse the process, that would help, but we're still going to need locations for hooking in the US versions.

I've confirmed two things via some minor reverse engineering:

1) the item menu itself has been expanded by 64 slots, and the arrow hasn't been recoded to take that into account. Likely needs fixed, but it's just an aesthetic issue.
2) the actual item index has been expanded by having the game read the item quantity's highest bit. An item quantity of $80 changes the actual item, and sets its quantity to 0.

The new item-related RAM ranges are follows:
Stored item check: 7EECA0-7EEDB3 (this is because the expanded portion of the menu cuts off at $40. It goes slightly further in RAM but won't display if you insert anything.)
Item quantity check: 7EEDD0-7EEE3 (same issue. It goes further, but he seems to have cut it off at $40.)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to dn for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (09-01-2014)