Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
battle backgrounds

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
As far as i know, somewhere in the rom, backgrounds are loaded and identified with a byte...

Could someone tell me where i can find the hex code that loads battle background images inside the game, please? Smile

What i want to do is to replace some background with another one already present inside the game: i don't care much to have redundant backgrounds, for what i'm planning to do.

There's also another question: if i do that with scrolling backgrounds, like the mine cart/waterfall backgrounds, will they scroll even in the new position, or the scroll feature is bounded to the original position slot?

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Searching for battle background in the C0 disassembly yielded this:

Data: battle backgrounds

C0/C27F: 00 (WoB grass, nice blue sky)
C2/C280: 01 (WoR forest, brownish cast)
C0/C281: 02 (WoB desert, blue sky)
C0/C282: 03 (WoB forest, lush green)
C0/C283: 04 (town background.. tint seems to correspond to FF3usME's "Zozo - Inside buildings", rather than "Fanatics' Tower - Rooms" )
C0/C284: 05 (WoR dry land.. pinkish sky)
C0/C285: 06 (WoB Veldt.. dry land, blue sky.. believe I've seen this for WoR Veldt, too)
C0/C286: 07 (falling sky en route to Floating Continent)

C0/C287: 00 (WoB grass, nice blue sky)
C0/C288: 01 (WoR forest, brownish cast)
C0/C289: 2F (WoR desert, pinkish sky)
C0/C28A: 03 (WoB forest, lush green)
C0/C28B: 05 (WoR dry land.. pinkish sky)
C0/C28C: 05 (WoR dry land.. pinkish sky)
C0/C28D: 06 (WoB Veldt.. dry land, blue sky.. believe I've seen this for WoR Veldt, too)
C0/C28E: 07 (falling sky en route to Floating Continent)

I think this is right... Although I'm not seeing all the backgrounds here in this list...hmmm. I'd assume that swapping one byte for another would do just that. Not positive on that.

As for question #2, I'm not sure but I'd imagine there's a check in some background code that tells it to jump to the scrolling routine if it's a certain background id that uses it.
I doubt it would continue to scroll if you changed it to another non-scrolling background id, but I'm not sure.

I'm not the best to try and answer this kind of stuff but I am able to search the dissassemblys well enough.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Tenkarider (08-09-2014)

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
I did few tests on that script... i managed for example to replace the WoR forest with the colisseum background: the curious thing is that works only if you replace the 01 byte of the second block of 8 backgrounds you posted... could the first group be related to WoB and the second one to WoR?

Anyway i'm searching for more information: what i really wanna do is to replace the 4 backgrounds of the final battle with 4 other backgrounds already existent...

Another thing i should consider is to find the code that makes the first 3 final screens to cover the monsters present in that formations(because Kefka's minions sprites were actually a bunch of Brachosaurs sprites Laugh) and disactivate it, since i doubt this is specifically related to that 3 backgrounds.

For example i found, searching around, this information:

Backgrounds:
Location= 11FBAB Size= 1 byte

I'm pretty sure the address is refeared to an headered rom, anyway there's the space only for 37 bytes and looks like editing won't change anything...
Does someone know what's the purpose of 11FBAB address, and how to edit it properly?
Unfortunately there's no information about codes with an higher address than the one included inside C banks Sad

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find