Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Spell Cast Dependant Status?

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Okay! So, say I wanted to ALWAYS have Terra start battles Silenced, and that Silence was Uncurable until she cast Osmose on someone (Ally or Enemy).
Or she Always started Uncurably Poisoned until she successfully cast Zombie on someone.

... Is that even Possible? Of course, I want to do Neither of those things, but that's exactly the TYPE of thing I'd like to do.

Battle Start - Poison on Terra - Terra Casts Poison - Enemy is Hit and Poisoned - Terra is Cured.

It's important to me that it not be Antidotable by any other means. Should I seek out a New Idea, or pursue this one?
  Find

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
Do you want this for scripted battles like the Phunbaba fight or something else?
  Find

Status
None
Ideally it would be Perpetual.

Please tell me I could attach it to Terra herself, and I wouldn't have to Alter every Monster Battle Script... I'm WILLING to.... But, ah... Ya know?
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Status
None
It should be doable. Unfortunately I haven't done much work with status effects, so I couldn't go into exactly how.

There may be two ways to go about making the status effect incurable. The first (and easiest) way would be just to hijack a current status effect slot. This would likely entail re-writing the effect entirely to match what you want, and then just don't allow any items or spells to cure it.

The second way may be a bit more difficult and I'm not too sure how you'd go about it. The premise of this method is to use immunity to that particular status. Since being immune to a status prevents you from both applying and removing it, you could try making it inherent to her and making her immune to it. I'm not really sure if this method would work the way you would want it to, or if the immunity would override the inherent nature of the status at the start of combat.

As far as transferring it (which is the gist I'm getting from your poison example), that would probably require a hard-coded check for certain spell IDs to make sure that not only is Terra the caster, but she's inflicted with the requisite status. If both those cases are true, flag the status to be removed (I'm not sure how this would interact with the second method described above, either).

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
(03-21-2014, 07:43 PM)Synchysi Wrote: There may be two ways to go about making the status effect incurable. The first (and easiest) way would be just to hijack a current status effect slot. This would likely entail re-writing the effect entirely to match what you want, and then just don't allow any items or spells to cure it.

This is kind of what I expected to Hear in response to my Question, but I'm not sure that I can make it Fit my Vision, ya know? But I suppose even Visions can be Revised... But it does open up New Possibilities.

(03-21-2014, 07:43 PM)Synchysi Wrote: As far as transferring it (which is the gist I'm getting from your poison example)

Yeah, okay. In Retrospect, that was totally a Stupid Example, and would obviously cause confusion. I apologize.

Okay. So this is what I want, Actually.

Terra is Stricken with CountDown at the Beginning of Every Battle. Only a Successful Cast (ie, a Hit) of Drain will Cure it. Or Resetting the Count would actually be Perfect.

That would make it Necessary to, On Some Occasions, cast it on an Ally. Which, yes, makes for a fun Plot Thread.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Status
None
(03-21-2014, 09:41 PM)Nyquill MacQuaid Wrote:
(03-21-2014, 07:43 PM)Synchysi Wrote: There may be two ways to go about making the status effect incurable. The first (and easiest) way would be just to hijack a current status effect slot. This would likely entail re-writing the effect entirely to match what you want, and then just don't allow any items or spells to cure it.

This is kind of what I expected to Hear in response to my Question, but I'm not sure that I can make it Fit my Vision, ya know? But I suppose even Visions can be Revised... But it does open up New Possibilities.

Well, there's always the immunity option, though I think that one would require a lot of trial and error and convoluted coding to get working properly. I suppose it depends on how much time and effort you're willing and/or able to put into it.

(03-21-2014, 09:41 PM)Nyquill MacQuaid Wrote:
(03-21-2014, 07:43 PM)Synchysi Wrote: As far as transferring it (which is the gist I'm getting from your poison example)

Yeah, okay. In Retrospect, that was totally a Stupid Example, and would obviously cause confusion. I apologize.

Okay. So this is what I want, Actually.

Terra is Stricken with CountDown at the Beginning of Every Battle. Only a Successful Cast (ie, a Hit) of Drain will Cure it. Or Resetting the Count would actually be Perfect.

That would make it Necessary to, On Some Occasions, cast it on an Ally. Which, yes, makes for a fun Plot Thread.

The idea would still be the same. You'd probably want to interrupt the spell-casting routine after the hit calculation, then run the checks I described (i.e., Terra is the caster and she's inflicted with condemned).

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
Quote:The idea would still be the same. You'd probably want to interrupt the spell-casting routine after the hit calculation, then run the checks I described (i.e., Terra is the caster and she's inflicted with condemned).

Yeah, you're right. Of course.

I suppose when you put it that way, it's just the same as Everything. AND, OR, NOT... Pure, Boolean Logic. My whole world is become IF THEN ELSE statements.

I really appreciate your Feedback. It's nice to have someone to sit you down and say, "Think, McFly! Think!".
  Find