Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New Sprite Palette?

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
So I have seen on here a way to set someones palette to a different palette (ie. Terra using Celes/Edgar/Sabin palette instead). But I was wondering if I could set up a way to have completely custom palettes for each character so I don't mess up any of the NPC's or anything else. I also know I'd probably have to do the same thing with setting up battle palettes. How is this done? is it even possible?

[Image: 5452812CeqVF.png]
[Image: RoyakenGif_zpsacedef24.gif]
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Unfotunately, it's not possible. There is very limited palette space in the SNES VRAM and so you are stuck with reusing the same palettes again and again. That being said, there is a way to use any 12 of the 16 colors from a palette for each character, thanks to a poster named Eggers that was here a while back. I sent the code to Poco and Gi Nattak a while back for making a patch. With it, at the very least, you can diversify your PC palettes to not be restricted to the first 12 of every palette.
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
(03-10-2014, 01:13 PM)Edrin Wrote: Unfotunately, it's not possible. There is very limited palette space in the SNES VRAM and so you are stuck with reusing the same palettes again and again. That being said, there is a way to use any 12 of the 16 colors from a palette for each character, thanks to a poster named Eggers that was here a while back. I sent the code to Poco and Gi Nattak a while back for making a patch. With it, at the very least, you can diversify your PC palettes to not be restricted to the first 12 of every palette.

Thank you. I really appreciate the info. I figured it was a long shot, but better safe than sorry right? I do remember I saw somewhere that said how to re-assign palettes to other sprites but I can't seem to find it. I may have skipped over it. Any idea where that is? And can I just manually, in the sprite editor, change the colors of the NPC's? And do I have to seperately changge the color of the PC's battle sprites (If I am using part of their tent colors for their outfit)?

[Image: 5452812CeqVF.png]
[Image: RoyakenGif_zpsacedef24.gif]
  Find

Threads: 21
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Auto-life
The game engine doesn't have a unified palette setting. It uses different palettes for different pieces of graphics handling and they don't interact directly with each other. The following items have their own palettes, related to character graphics:
  • Palette for battle characters
    Palette for the leader of party (first slot in party)
    Palette for NPCs (loaded from maps)
    Palette for NPCs (set in the event script)
    Palette for shop sprites
    Palette for portraits

Each item has his own peculiarity and they demand different solutions. What is your objective? Do you want to create new characters graphics with new palettes?
  Find