Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Adding Spells to FFVI Advance/SNES

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Just wondering, I've got a... decent grasp of modifying existing spells, but is there a way to go about adding entirely new ones?

I was hoping to rename/modify Flood into 'Aquaga', add Aqua and Aquara, as well as equivalents for the other elements (IE, Stone/ra/ga, Aero/ra/ga).

No real reason as to why I want to do this other than to slake my desire for these spells to exist.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 238
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
As for the SNES version, the spell ID is on one byte, so no, there is no easy way to add more. I wouldn't say it's impossible but it's a lot easier to modify a spell. Just look at the C2 disassembly and see how often a spell ID is called/assigned and it will give you an idea of the task.

As for the GBA version, the game does allows to have more spell than 256 spells but I am unsure how the code handles them. I only played with the data yet.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Yeah. Unfortunately that is no simple task.
I would love to see it happen, but it would take a lot of effort.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
if I can make a suggestion

you can always use some of the unused and recylced spells (heartburn is an unused spell, and megavolt and gigavolt are the same as bolt 2 and bolt 3, these are just some examples)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Good point, Poco.
Consolidating similar and especially identical spells can garner a good number of spells. That was definitely the case in FFT.
At that point you just have to get them to play nice with the magic menu.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
if you'd like whenever I get the chance I can compose an archive of suggestions for what you can use spellwise

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Thanks for the replies! Me and my friend have been consolidating what we want to add. The general hack idea is a rebalance of spells and enemies of the GBA game (that's been settled on, at least).

I can copy a list of what we've got planned, spell-wise, to see whether it's all doable. Worse comes to worst, we can just rebalance the enemies, at any rate.

I imagine editing the existing spells, as suggested, is easier -- it'd just be a matter of tweaking an existing enemy spell or dance (though I'm iffy on modifying these for some reason... the animations are more than usable, though!) spell into something an esper can teach -- IE, El Nino becomes Aquara, Saintly Beam becomes Diara (level-2 holy) and such.

Of course, neither of us have any idea how to modify espers in Final Fantasy VI Advance, or add spells to the spell list, for that matter. If we do the work of modifying the existing spells into the new ones, and of course the enemy rebalancing, would someone else be able to modify the spell names and descriptions, and espers to our specifications? Or, better yet, is there some guide we can follow on how to do that?

I've compiled a small list of spell animations to use. Anyone have any better candidates?

Shamshir = Gale, level 1 wind spell.
Wind Slash = Galera, level 2.
Plasma = Aqua, level 1 water spell.
El Nino = Aquara, level 2.
Rockslide = Stone, level 1 earth spell.
Cave In = Stonera, level 2.
Bone = Zombie, which sets... zombie. No changes really necessary, just needs to be learnable.
Ink = Blind, same as above.
Apparition = Dia, level 1 holy.
Snowball anim. (any idea which spell to replace?) = Diara, level 2 holy.
Enemy Meteor = Meteor (4 random attacks on foes).
Current Meteor = Meteora (6 random attacks).
Poisona = Bodyna
Magitek Barrier anim (any idea which spell to replace?) = Mindna
Deadly Pollen anim (any idea which spell to replace?) = Cursena

All in all, this is a simple hack to make in theory -- the only part we're stuck on is how to make the new spells learnable and usable in the magic menu. We've already got the espers in mind to teach which spells.

Anyone have any candidates for spells to overwrite? I think replacing Shamshir and Cyclonic with Gale and Galera makes sense as does Mega- and Gigavolt into Aqua and Aquara, which are used by primarily aquatic enemies; turning Ink and Bone into Blind and Zombie does as well. Anyone have any other ideas?

EDIT:

Have successfully reanimated each of these spells, alongside doing all the data programming for them. Now all I need is someone to help rename the spells and make them learnable and usable!
  Find