Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Command Changing

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello I'm an amateur hacker working on a new RPG project using FF6 as my base, and I have a few questions regarding the use of commands..

My first question is if it would be possible to change which character has the inherent ability to switch out his commands from the status screen the same way Gogo does, as this would allow me to make a sort of freelancer class... I'm not big on asm or hex editing but I believe it would be a simple matter of changing which character the script uses?

And the next question is if there is a way to lock or unlock which commands you are able to use depending on certain events, so that when certain events happen and variables are changed, the command menu changes which commands are loaded and available to use? I'm sure this one would be much more difficult if not impossible...

My last question is a bit simpler and about the Sketch command... I'm trying to turn it into a "Provoke" command, it would be a matter of changing the targeting of the sketched ability to target Relm and not the monster, yes?
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
1) I brought this very possibility up in a discussion about creating a sort of Job system where characters can potentially learn all the skills available in the game. It hasn't really gone anywhere, but there are some things to note about how the command settings in the status menu works.

First, IIRC the game does check to see if the character in the status screen is Gogo and only activates the command set routines if it's him. Actually the exact code might check to see if it isn't Gogo and it bypasses the command set routines if it isn't. In either case, it should be fairly easy to bypass the check and allow every party member to access the command set routine.

HOWEVER, the way the game determines what commands are available to Gogo (and thus all characters, if you bypass the Gogo check) is that it seems to check what commands each actor has at the point at which they are recruited and those commands are unlocked for use by the command set routine. I confirmed this first hand many years ago when all we had was game genie codes to work with. What I did was give every character their secondary relic commands in place of their usual Magic command and when I recruited Gogo his list of available commands ridiculous. All those commands like Capture and GP Rain that usually can only be accessed via a relic were all available.

For my purposes I'd have to do quite a bit of ASM in order to control which characters had access to which commands at any given time, not to mention I'd need to be able to store this data in S/RAM, and given the number of characters in FF6 that is potentially a relative ass-load of S/RAM.

2) That would likely require some custom code as I don't think there is a built in way to do that.

3) No. I'm confident that it would require a considerably more ASM work than simply changing the the skill's targeting. First off, Sketching just makes a copy of the target which uses an attack from a list associated with the target. Doesn't directly affect the target. For a "Provoke" ability you'd have to rewrite the code so it forces the target to do attack the user of the command on it's next turn or for a number of turns depending on the exact effect you're looking for.

So unfortunately, most of the really cool stuff that can be done requires at least some ASM work.
  Find