Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
I must say you continue to amaze me man, I truly appreciate all your work and input

I just might revamp all my sprites now, I can also add a lot of custom stuff in my hack

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Quote:I must say you continue to amaze me man, I truly appreciate all your work and input

I just might revamp all my sprites now, I can also add a lot of custom stuff in my hack

Which reminds me: I know you've done some work with the sprites that use special palettes that take the place of #6. Do you have a complete hack to the events and sprites, that makes #6 usable as a character palette in every scene? Or is it only partial? Gi told me it still doesn't work in a few maps in his hack, and I'm not sure whether you have a more complete version, but I thought I'd check.

If it is complete, I would like to link to it in the readme. The two patches would obviously be highly complimentary. Or if you ever do complete it.

Or if you have written / know of any good tutorials. I know there is one by Gi Nattak which you can find in this forum if you search for entrance events, but it only talks about the placeholder palette. It doesn't really give instructions on how one might replace the sprites or palettes.

(I get the idea myself -- I was looking for a link to put in the readme for people who download the patch and want to know what's up.)
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
The reason it might not work on a map is that palette 6 is often replaced in entrance events in order to set special NPC palettes that you can't normally set. The game only allows you to set palettes 0-7 in the game (since that's all the palette space they have) and if you need one of the ones beyond those that are permanently loaded, you set it to 6, which gets rewritten. Judging from the command that does it tho, you can choose any palette to replace.
  Find

Status
None
my WIP hack has Kefka set as pal 6 everywhere but Mike did it for me to repay a favor since I was busy with work, so he should have that info on him, as to why pal 6 is used as a placeholder neither of us have any idea as to why or how its used as a placeholder, we just learned that pretty much through trial and error and some final input by a few people at Pandora's Box

but one particular area is an event with the sealed gate, if a char has pal 6 in that scene, it will appear glitchy

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
I haven't updated this in a while, so.

[Image: imgshk.png]

I think I'm finally getting close to done with this menu, though you can see there are still major flaws in it. This one menu has ended up being unexpectedly challenging, and a lot of it isn't even related to the palettes or the specific changes I'm making, but just to how convoluted the code is, and how hard it is to make any change at all and get the expected result.

As you see, I currently have 8 characters with 8 different palettes on one line, in addition to a character portrait with another palette. The hand cursor still doesn't look right, but I can fix that. I'm accomplishing this with HDMA. Parts of this were somewhat difficult, but it was probably not the most difficult part.

There is a queue system, which uses pointers to functions. Which themselves reference pointers. Which point to more pointers. Which point to data, such as OAM data. But the OAM data finally loaded from the end of the chain of pointers is often not directly used or loaded into video memory. It is modified first. Completely different subroutines place data in working memory which modifies the data loaded from the ROM. Or else, not. It depends on the order things are executed. So if you insert code in the wrong place, and it's executed at the wrong time, you get no result, or an unpredictable result.

Sometimes if you move one thing, everything else moves in a way that makes no sense. Because they reference each other in weird ways, sometimes in obscure subroutines far away from what you're looking at. I did something that made all the status text up with the portrait get misaligned, and I'm currently fixing it manually. It's partially fixed in the screen shot. I am not sure what broke it. I wasn't modifying anything that should, in any intuitive way, have affected that text.

Also, this menu is already using HDMA to mess with screen offsets. In an effort to put vertical spacing between letters that is not a multiple of 8 pixels (hard to do with tile-based graphics), the game actually modifies the vertical offset as a function of the vertical offset as the screen is drawn. So you end up with a weird moon-people kind of math where if Y > 20, Y = Y - 10. So it's like... lkfdsj;lkdsaf????

I realize this is all gobbledegook, probably. I just felt like taking the opportunity to both complain and brag. I'm actually kind of enjoying myself, because I'm a masochist for hard puzzles.
  Find

Status
None
well hey if anyone can solve this issue I have no doubt in my mind you're the man to do it

good luck man

-HNIC

Status
None
Hey, sorry,

I suddenly became occupied with important RL things. I haven't even logged onto this forum, or done any hacking since... around the time of my last post in this thread.

Things are clearing up for me, and I hope I'll be able to get back in the swing of things soon.

I hope no one thought I was dead or anything.
  Find

Status
None
glad to see you back man

-HNIC

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Is this patch still available. I've searched and can't find it. The links in this thread are broken.
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
I want to know the same thing as Snap006. Anyone got a working link for the patch or can they send one to me in PM plz? I'd greatly appreciate it Smile

[Image: 5452812CeqVF.png]
[Image: RoyakenGif_zpsacedef24.gif]
  Find