Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Question-Programming-Sprites

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I was just wondering how one goes about finding the data/offsets/pointers for the sprite graphics and inserts them into a program such as ff3usme? Would one be able to use yy-chr to find the sprite graphics in a ff6 advance gba rom and somehow determine the exact bytes/location for each sprite in order to assist someone that is programming an editor (ehem, possibly a ff6 advance editor lol)?

I may be a utilitarian looking to be usefull or I may just feel the need to help out in whatever way I can since I've been using this site for longer than I've been registered lol. Whenever I'm not at work or rehearsing for my band's next show, I'm generally looking for something to do. If there was something tedious but simple I could accomplish to help out with (in regards to creating an editor) I would definitely volunteer some of my free time in helping out.

Well, thanks for your time! Later!

[Image: xyx.png]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Finding the offset of each sprite is really easy with YY-CHR. As for sprite pointer, I'm not sure if they exist in the GBA version but anyway they would not be considered if you create a sprite editor comparable to the one in FF3usME. Only the sprite offsets are considered in this case.

As my specific case, I don't really need any help unless you have some programming skills. I already have almost everything working for managing GBA graphics and I think this was on of the hardest part. As an example, I just use the ReadBytes function of a binary reader to a certain offset with a certain length (the size of your graphic in bytes) then I make a bitmap (image in the editor) with that byte array using a function that convert hex in 4bpp graphics. You can make that process in a loop (like for portraits) if all graphics are the same size. A similar process is used for palettes and then you assign the Color array to your bitmap. You can really modify an existing editor like you suggest unless you have the source code or use a disassembler that would convert the exe file into source code. I hope you understand better.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Sczar Atmos (07-17-2013)

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I see that sounds very logical, yea I haven't taken any programming courses since high school so I wouldn't be of much use since I'm not familiar with vb and all the different script languages. The courses I took were very simple ones that consisted of "If x theny y" kind of stuff lol nowhere near the level of stuff you guys are doing haha. Well thanks for answering my many random questions and good luck!

[Image: xyx.png]
  Find