Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A question about the <D> delay command

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I've noticed that, while editing text in FF3USME, the game sometimes cuts off half of the letters that come before a <D> command. This isn't usually noticable, since every <D> command in the unedited script has a space in front of it. Is this my emulator being strange, or is it an actual bug in the game?

Here's an example of an elipsis being cut off in this way.
EDIT: now using [img] tags.
[Image: imgshk.png]
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Please use img tags instead of attaching.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B-Run for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (06-26-2013)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 5
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Always put a space before the <D> and you'll be all right.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BTB for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (06-26-2013)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
u 2 saved me the trouble thanks lol

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Through a quick experiment, I found out why it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. The odd letters are good, and the even letters will always be cut off.
Do you think it would be possible for someone to go into the ASM relating to how the text is printed, and fix this? I don't have any experience with that kind of thing, but it should be possible, and I know that several other bugfixes for the game exist.

EDIT: Never mind, I came up with my own solution!
I took one of the unused letters (the little tornado symbol) and edited the width in FF3USME's GFX editor to be 0 pixels long.
Then I just type that in before every <D> command, and boom! No cutoff.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 5
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
It's not that simple. You might notice that the space used in the dialogue bank is not byte for byte. This is because, to save space, the text as printed is stored in two-character "chunks" (for lack of a better term). Any odd behavior of the text as printed is likely related to that.

Again, the point is moot since any problems with delay tags can be easily resolved by using them <D>like so.