Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Making bosses change sprite mid battle?

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
I'm working on a project, and for it, I want to use some enemies who change sprites mid battle, one such example is the Windraptor cameo boss from FFV.

I was looking through the forum, but I can't find any solutions to my query, and I think it's possible because the boss Chadarnook does this.

I looked at the enemy AI, and I see that its set to change every 40 seconds, but not how it actually changes sprites between the demon and goddess.

If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, a second query is removing the magitek armour in the field, I successfully removed the magitek armour in battle by removing the M-tek status in every instance where it's normally granted, but I don't know how I can remove the armour from appearing in events and over the playable characters.

I believe it may recognize it as adding the M-tek armour as a vehicle, but I don't know where or how to disable it, and any assistance in that is also appreciated.

Thanks for reading this.

-edit 1-
I found the offsets for the magitek armour for the cliff
CC/9948: 44    Place character $00 (Actor in stot 0) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)
CC/994B: 44    Place character $0E (Actor in stot 14) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)
CC/994E: 44    Place character $0F (Actor in stot 15) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)

But I just cannot seem to find them in the rom in windhex at ALL. Maybe I'm looking at it badly...

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
You need to have the 2 monsters in the same formation, and have one hidden and one shown, then one of the monsters in the battlescript will have the trigger to hide itself and bring in the other one, depending on a timer or a variable. Look at formation #456 in usme and see how they have both the monsters there and one is hidden, then look at the battlescripts again to see how to go about it.

And you remove the magitek armor via event editing. Grab a copy of the event text: http://www.angelfire.com/al2/imzogelmo/s...Disasm.zip
and you would want to look for something like this:

CC/9948: 44 Place character $00 (Actor in stot 0) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)
CC/994B: 44 Place character $0E (Actor in stot 14) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)
CC/994E: 44 Place character $0F (Actor in stot 15) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor)

This is an instance of the Magitek Armor being assigned to Terra, Biggs and Wedge's sprites.

Open the hex editor and go to the address, and change the 44 XX YY commands to FD FD FD, which will erase, or bypass rather them getting assigned that vehicle.

Alternatively, you can use 44 XX 00 instead of FD FD FD, which is vehicle $00 (No vehicle)

You can also place the character on $60 (Raft), and $20 (Chocobo).

(06-13-2013, 04:22 PM)Murak Modder Wrote: -edit 1-
I found the offsets for the magitek armour for the cliff
CC/9948: 44    Place character $00 (Actor in stot 0) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)
CC/994B: 44    Place character $0E (Actor in stot 14) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)
CC/994E: 44    Place character $0F (Actor in stot 15) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)

But I just cannot seem to find them in the rom in windhex at ALL. Maybe I'm looking at it badly...

Searching for offset C9948 should bring you right to it. If it's not, then for the one millionth time (not to you, just in general =D) your ROM is most likely headered, so you would add +200 to the address, so it would become CC/9B48. When working in hex it's better to remove the header for the ROM so you don't have to factor in the +200 all the time, windhex has an option to do that at the top under Edit>remove SNES header - and also view the offset as SNES Hi-ROM: Option>display offset as>SNES Hi-ROM.

If this is not the issue, than I'm not sure.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Thanks for the response Nattak. =3

I know about adding 200 if I have a headered rom, and the issue I had with the offset was the fact that I was trying to search for 0000 as there was 2 C's, I managed to successfully remove the Magitek armour in the tutorial in field and battle.

I'll look at the battle side some more and maybe I can wrap my head around it better.

You got to admit I'm starting to earn my salt around here though. =P

Edit - I 100% removed the Magitek armour in the field and battles for the playable team, but I didn't get a chance to look at the battle side for the changing sprite yet, but I'll look at it when I get back from work.

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find