Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Duplicate maps

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Why are there duplicate maps in the game? For instance: The Ancient Cave (191 and 192) are two instances of the same map, one is for the majority of the map filled out with chests and exits, then the other is just the last room. Both maps have the full map, but they split up the exits and chests so that there are two instances of the map.

Does anyone know why they do this? I'd like to use some of these duplicates to make new maps, but if I'm going to totally screw up my game in the process, I obviously don't want to do that.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I think one reason why they did this is because you can only place 32 NPC's on each map (which is important someplace like towns, as this allows them to place different NPC's in the WoB and WoR). In the places where you use Magitek Armor, the duplicate map is necessary because the tiles need to have a different physical field to restrict your access in the bulky suit. And this allows them to use a different palette on the same map (like WoB vs. WoR towns). Also, in some cases like the 191 vs. 192, they did this to have random encounters in one area but not another (there aren't any encounters in the save point room). I'm guessing there's just a lot of little reasons, but not anything big or overarching.

Also, editing the tiles of one of these duplicate maps edits the same tiles for all of them. Unless you know how to get around that?

I'm not sure if I'm re-iterating things you already know or not, but that's what I know anyways.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Aha, thanks. I see how it edits the other maps too... I am just getting to the point in my hack where I need to start handling maps, so this is all new to me. I guess I really need to pay attention to what I change and where... Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to expand the number of maps yet? Most things in the game can be expanded by moving stuff around, but its normally quite a hassle and removes the ability to use editors, but it may be worth it. Perhaps I could build a custom map on a dummy ROM then copy the hex into a new location then expand the map pointer list? I need help from our mapping gurus... What are the limits!?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(06-10-2013, 03:08 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Also, editing the tiles of one of these duplicate maps edits the same tiles for all of them. Unless you know how to get around that?

I think this have to do with the fact that duplicated maps use the same Tilemap (left panel of FF6LE).
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Madsiur Wrote:
Lockirby2 Wrote:Also, editing the tiles of one of these duplicate maps edits the same tiles for all of them. Unless you know how to get around that?
I think this have to do with the fact that duplicated maps use the same Tilemap (left panel of FF6LE).

Yes this definitely has to do with the tilemap, if you need another copy of a tilemap you can manipulate the settings to make a copy of a particular map. It is theoretically possible to adjust the tilemap setting to a blank one and create a new map from a newly blanked one, if there are blank tilemap ids available, which is something beyond my immediate knowledge, I've never created a map without replacing an old one.
  Find