Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Editing Defend Command

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Anyone know why C1/B79F which is supposed to be the animation pointer for Def. with values 88BC wouldn't be there? lol I factored in the 200 for the header, I also checked on a fresh FF6 rom, maybe theres a difference in the way I am seeing it? Or maybe it's because I'm using the 1.1 rom version? Regardless, I went and found every instance of 88BC and changed it to CDBE (Fight) and still had no luck at seeing the animation for a regular attack. I read these posts:

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...on+pointer

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...hlight=row

I got the Def. command to actually do damage to the enemy but there is no animation for the attack and also the text in battle has not changed even though I changed it in ff3usme, im guessing I have to manually hex edit the name in the rom somewhere right? I originally wanted to find a way, like that older post, to swap row with the item command and defend with fight but have noticed only the defend and fight swap seem to work and I am more then content with that if I could just get the Def. command to show the animation of a regular attack that would be awesome. I have no idea what I am missing in regards to the animation pointers or why they wouldn't be in the correct spot.

My goal: To place "Fight" where Def. is and have it function as the command "Fight" does.

OR

To make a spell that displays the equipped weapon animation of a regular attack and does damage (so i can place it in my magitek menu).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated lol

Maybe there's a way I could point a spell at the Fight command? Kind of like reversing the idea that Health and Shock have? Idk

[Image: xyx.png]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
By changing the def. Function pointer at C1/B79F (C1/B99F with header) to CDBE you will get the fight animation. But this doesn't change the targeting of the command or how it behave. Part of the answer is to change the def. command pointer in bank C2 to the same one as fight. The table start at C2/19C7. But still, the command will target the active character. I don't know how to fix the targeting.
  Find

Status
None
Well thanks for replying but the hex that's supposed to be there when I goto those offsets are definitely not there or should I say not the correct hex in my rom lol. I don't know what happened and if a patch I applied a long time ago shifted all the data around or whatnot but I think I'll just give up for now on the Def. thing and just rearrange commands so everyone has a fight command again. I'm currently having fun toying with the idea of an "End of Time-esque" kind of room like in Chrono Trigger. So far I'm testing what I can actually do with Exits on the World Map lol Warp Island! [Image: imgshk.png]

short lived, only 48 exits on world map allowed according to LE lol

Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
You should be able to change the targeting through FF3usME. I imagine (though I haven't tested it) that if you change the pointers as suggested above as well as modify the targeting to match Fight, you'll get what you're looking for.

More specifically, the pointer that you need to change is at C2/19F1 (C2/1BF1 in a headered ROM). Try changing that pointer to match Fight.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
(Thanks for the responses so far. ) I had already changed those hex values and got Defend to attack but no animation. Just damage shows up when you select defend. From reading the "mug" thread I posted earlier it was said that the animation pointer is needed

"By changing the def. Function pointer at C1/B79F (C1/B99F with header) to CDBE you will get the fight animation. But this doesn't change the targeting of the command or how it behave. Part of the answer is to change the def. command pointer in bank C2 to the same one as fight. The table start at C2/19C7. But still, the command will target the active character. I don't know how to fix the targeting." -Madsuir

I'm sorry that my problem wasn't clarified correctly, here is what is at C1/B79f (C1/B99F for me)

[Image: imgshk.png]
notice the hex there is not anything it is supposed to be and I did not touch the hex. That's my problem lol

Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
You're using an unheadered ROM. The offset you're looking for should be 200h bytes before that, at C1/B79F.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
The issue appears to be a version difference:

http://imgur.com/9BuipVr

The Japanese ROM is the only one with a header in this image. The 1.1 image on the right shows what you have, and the 1.0 image on the left shows what matches the disassembly. I can't take a guess at what to do about this, though.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
I think if I search for the string of hex that I'm looking for then I'll find the data, I'll try it! Thanks alot for the help!!!

Just searched for the hex string, no luck... lol wow I wonder what patch I must have applied that changed everything. I did so much work to this rom outside of using the editor that I really don't want to start over. Oh well. Thanks for helpin anyway though everyone!

Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I took a gander at it and the bytes you have to change appear to be just three bytes back (85BC, at 0001B99C). Because the rest of the ROM is three bytes off as well, the pointer has to point to a slightly different place, which explains why the hex search turned up nothing. I changed it to CABE, and it changes the defend animation to an attack animation. The attack animation doesn't seem to use the right weapon, and I tested it with version 1.0 and changing the exact bytes Madsiur said, and it gave the same result. I guess when you actually select Fight it loads up the weapon at some point whereas it didn't here.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
Lockirby, where is the thank button because YOU GOT IT!!!!! ALL U GOTTA DO IS PUT CDBE there!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!! YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

Find