Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Leo/Kefka/Banon/Merchant/Ghost riding animations

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Has anyone given these a shot? I'm not much of a spriter, but I was able to make one for Leo using scraps of his other poses (I'll post it later; it's on my desktop and I'm not at home right now).

What do you all have in regards to the others? I'm looking for ideas to work off of, not to directly copy.

Once I get a better feel for the various kinds of sprites and animations, I'm going to try to work on a Kain sprite using his original FF4j/FF2us colors and patterns, and I feel like taking the time to "complete the incomplete" sprite sheets that are already present in FFVI will help me out in that regard.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 6
Status
None
The issue with creating riding sprites for these characters isn't so much that they are difficult to create as much as there is no space in the ROM for them to go. These characters cannot ride magitek armor or chocobos in the original game without the use of hacking or a cheat device (or an exploit in Locke's scenario which kind of breaks your game a bit,) so the creators managed to save space by not bothering to give these characters complete sprite sheets. You can make these sheets complete, but only if you replace an existing character, the 14 main characters and soldier or imp IIRC. Outside of that you won't be able to give these characters riding sprites.
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
(03-19-2013, 10:17 AM)Ghost XIII Wrote: but only if you replace an existing character

That's actually what I'm talking about: replacing existing characters, ones with COMPLETE sprite sheets. Sorry for not being clear before.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Actually you could fit a riding sprite in the special pose spot (the spot with kanji symbols). This is good for for Leo, Banon, merchant, ghost, kefka and Esper Terra. The is also one time you can use a chocobo with Banon in Terra's scenario, resulting in a graphical bug because he has no riding pose.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 6
Status
None
I stand to be somewhat corrected by Madsiur, but you would need to alter some code (pointers I believe?) for these characters. I've never really looked into doing anything like that, so I don't know how feasible it is.

As for replacing existing characters. Yes, that is totally doable, you just need to have a bit of skill spriting. I did one for Leo before and for Kefka, though I know I lost the Kefka -- not sure if I have the Leo around or not still.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-19-2013, 05:01 PM)Ghost XIII Wrote: I stand to be somewhat corrected by Madsiur, but you would need to alter some code (pointers I believe?) for these characters. I've never really looked into doing anything like that, so I don't know how feasible it is.

You just have to use the correct graphical action in a character action queue in a event. There is poses 40 poses and you can call them individually. In theory, there is $3F graphical actions. I dunno what $28 to $3F are for but $00 to $27 are the poses on the sprite sheet. $40 to $7F are the same graphical actions but flipped horizontally.

Find