Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
monster sprite editing

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello all,
So, I was looking to replace some monsters sprites with those from other games that matched the graphical sophistication of FF6, and even if I recolored them with the ROM's existing palettes for each specific monsters(using same sprite) listed in FF3SE, the sprite's colors become mismatched and any change results in problems on the correct sprite/palette pair. I was wondering if any of you may know of a way to avoid this?
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
personally u should do what I did, and make a personal archive of which monster uses which sprite, u need to understand that when editing monster and esper palettes u have to use "every other palette" this is because the next monster using the next palette will be affected

for example the narshe guard uses pal 0 so lets say u edit pal 0 with a new monster, other monsters using pal 0 or even pal 1 will be affected, but pal 2 n the rest are ok

so lets say we have a monster that uses 3 different palettes and they are 30, 80, and 222

so that would mean 29, and 31 will be affected if u edit palette 30

that also means 79 and 81 as well as 221 and 223 will be changed if the respected palette in between them are edited

so lets go at it this way

u edit pal 30 4 the new monster awesome since it normally uses 80 and 222 u can customize those 2 palettes so that u have alt monsters

be warned that some monsters do share the same palette (do not overlook the espers either) so its important to always check

I hope this info helps u out

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
I don't want to change the palettes at all, I want to insert new monsters using the same palettes.
  Find

Status
None
thats not gonna work

I'll tell u that right now

the only thing that MIGHT work and it all depends on how many monsters you insert in the game is to use the unused palettes and I have no idea how many are originally unused so good luck with all that

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
-_- aw, thats unfortunate. it seems like it would be fairly easy to do that sort of thing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-10-2013, 03:40 PM)mori Wrote: I don't want to change the palettes at all, I want to insert new monsters using the same palettes.

You can use the same palettes for multiple monsters but if you change the order of the colors, one or more sprite will have their color mismatched. There is a lot of empty palettes that can be used and one thing you could do is export the palettes (by exporting the sprite) and use that palette on the monster you want to import in a more developed editor such as Gimp. Now when you import the monster you will have the correct palette.
  Find

Status
None
alright, I'll give that a shot, thank you for the tip. I'll share my results as soon as I'm finished.
  Find

Status
None
that can work but it will take a VERY long time if attempted but its all about how much work you are willing to put in at the end of the day

-HNIC