Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6: the mana wars

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
i have been getting a couple quarries about my hack i am working on so i guess i will share. First off it's not really a hack, i call it a mod. It really just started out as a personal project for me and some friends, and it still is. I'm not really a coder so thats why im calling it a mod as most of the changes are just graphical.

I love ff6, it's my favorite SNES game and probably favorite RPG besides maybe Xenosaga. I wanted to keep the basis of the game in general as i love the game the way it is. As such i wont be changing major functions of the game such as esper use, magic system, etc. This idea was spawned from playing FF6: the eternal crystals and some features that i just hated, like only curtain PC's being able to use magic and espers. While the idea is unique it's a pretty big change . Since non-magic users can't even equip espers this made so the magic users ended up with god stats while the others fell way behind in power level. this was such a major change that a lot of players can't stand it. So i tried to avoid any changes that would just appeal to some players and piss others off.

what i am aiming for is a ff6 mod that fixes a lot of the bugs, adds some graphics changes for freshness but keeps the main aspect of the game intact. if you like the mechanics of the original this will still be the same game you love mechanics wise. so in summary it's really not going to be much of a Hack if your looking for something different and original. Since i'm working solo on this Hack it's taking quite a while to complete, BUT so far there is nothing that requires complex work and that i can't do. This project is still in infancy, it's just a matter of how long.

Some changes so far:
-new character and NPC sprites
- tools replaced with Rune stones
-New sword techs
- new epers
- New blitzes and simpler input commands, FF6 never should have never had street fighter moves to begin with.
- new NPC sprites
- new monster sprites
- new spells, lores, and dances.
- new weapons and armor
- more added spell learning through equipment
- new story dialog, BUT the overall plot will be the same.

The main thing about FF6 story i did not like is how its stated that magic is basically extinct but all the PC's have some form of magic. also it never explains why almost all monsters use magic, this will explain that. basically it will be more like the plot of the magic war that happened 1000 years ago. in all essence it will be that storyline.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
much better

its not bad, but what aspects of the story with u change specifically?

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
well the story aspect i'm still tossing ideas around with friends as i'm mainly still working on the other changes mentioned. when i do the story it will be just that, me sitting down and doing JUST the story aspect. i will probably play through the game and edit line for line when I test the changes. I think i will keep a lot of the story intact, just explain more for completeness. such as how was terra raised since she was stolen by gestahl. And if she was raised in the empire why isn't she more loyal to the empire. Or why is magic, if supposedly almost extinct, so many monsters use it? Who are the triad exactly, how did magitek come about and who created it. how did espers and humanity coexist and where did espers come from. how are espers different than normal monsters? what happened exactly to summoners? what is the forgotten city and who lived there. who is Kefka really? things like that. basically i plan to explain more and tie everything together better so it makes more sense and is more believable. i'm thinking of going the New star Trek route and doing more of an alternate time line.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
nice sounds interesting

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC