Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Terra Recolor, opinions

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Hi guys. I Recently decided to playthrough FF6 again, 1.3 ushardtype to be precise, and I wanted to refresh the visual experience for myself a little bit just to get another bith of refreshment on my playthrough.

Everything went fine until i came to the point where i started to edit the main character sprites (recolor them to be precise). I decided to try to color em as close to the original amano artwork i could, (since I am an absolute fan of his work but thats besides the point) when I, the hard way unfortunately, had to find out about the palette limitations for playable characters.  

I was working on terra and pretty happy with my result turning this:

[Image: Terra_Branford.jpg]

into this:
[Image: ff6-terra_recolor.png]

(I recomment to save the image and zoom in a bit)

I know its not perfect but It gave me a strong feeling of being as faithful as i can towards the original art, and well yea i was happy with it.

Unfortunately upon inserting it i had to find out that it messed up completely the colors of many other npcs, which was a nogo for me since they looked out of place.

So now i decided to recolor her as faithful as i can with the original terra palette (which is a nightmare). I have no way of coming close to my previous recoloring, but since i never understood how the f**k they came up with the rainbow multi coloring for terra, I still prefer my new colors which i think are fairly ok considering the palette i had to work with.

And now you will probably laugh because the only part i cant decide on are the shoes, so i would apreciate if you could tell me which of the 3 following shoe colorings is smoothest to the eye in your opinion.

Oh and only watch the first 3 sprites please i didnt bother to recolor the other ones since its a bit tedious, and I work on the other ones until i get a bit of feedback.

Again only the first 3 sprites, and please save as and zoom in a bit if its too small for you

Option A:[Image: mkar08.jpg]
Option B:[Image: 2hg8byp.jpg]
Option C:[Image: 2istrab.jpg]

Just go by guts and smoothness to your eyes.

Thanks alot and Cheers, J.
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
you know; there is an amano Terra in the database that was sprited to look like her artwork (however there is not a blonde version since it was made to replace US Terra)
  Find

Status
None
Thanks alot for the info i didnt know that, though i must say, even though it looks nice technically it isnt what im aiming for since it still has that multicolor look on it that i rly dont like. And again i know I cant get as close to the original as in my wrong palette version, but I want at least an overall color tone that is similar.

I rly want to go for the original colors from the art i posted above, or the one below for example.
[Image: terra3.jpg]

But since your online, would be nice if you still could tell me which of the three is best in your eyes.
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Status
None
okay I had a much longer post that I felt a bit bad about (as I know I came off as an as*h**e) so I will condense that and say it in a more polite way:

I hate recolors. It takes no effort, you learn nothing and what you want will not be achieved by doing it.

Terra in the game wears a completely different outfit than the Terra in the amano artwork (Dissidia got her outfit right) so changing the colors won't make it look more like it, only like an oddly colored Terra which is what the examples show. I don't know what you mean by multicolor but considering her artwork has a lot of very different colors so there will be "multicolored" things regardless.

So in the short of it; I don't like any of them because they simply don't look good.
  Find

Status
None
XD i alrdy read the long one, dont worry i didnt mind, I do like recolors since im not rly into spriting or an upcoming spriter, i just want to switch the visual experience a bit up for me.

So to summarise: "fair enough".

Though to quickly clarify multicolor, Its rly hard to explain since at base its just a feeling that i cant describe better than with the word multicolor.

I think the original sprite looks like crap because it uses more or less all additive primary colors, with emphasis on more or less (yea before you nitpick, Instead of green blue cyan it uses green and turquoise, and its not yellow, but beige, but those are respective variations of the primary colors in question, and I said more or less).
[Image: 220px-AdditiveColor.svg.png]
And that doesnt look right.
This is not a scientifically acceptable explanation and if you still dont get what I mean at all, then so be it, it rly doesnt matter anyway, the outcome is what it relevent here, and that is that i hate the coloring of the sprite.

Also Just for the sake of it, The "purpose" of this recolor, in relation to why I said I wanted it done, is actually easy to demonstrate, even if you dont like it. I said i wanted the sprite to remind me MORE (not be a perfect adaption) of the amano artwork, which especially the initial attempt i did does.
[Image: 2lnv1ah.jpg]
Wanna bet that if you go on the street and ask 100 ppl which of the 2 sprites below looks more Similiar to the artwork, 99 will say my recolor does, and as i more than clearly stated that was my intended purpose of the recoloring.

And to the sprite you mentioned in the database, I rly dont wanna be an as*h**e and im sure the effort was great and in spriters circles it is good spriting, but no offence it looks way worse than even the original alrdy bad looking sprite. It has the crappy colors of the original, worse hair and body(especially frontal view!! which btw has no massive pink "frontal part" anywhere in the artwork so i dont know where that comes from), and apart from the fact that its a "girl with a cape", looks absolutely nothing like any original amano artwork....(and i bet if you add it to the poll i mentioned above, still 99 will chose my sprite recolor as being closest to the artwork)

[Image: Terra%20Redux.png]

Now Since im not looking forward to a discussion and im sure noone else is, lets switch this to either pick option A B or C or dont reply since I rly only made this topic for that simple input.

PS: This is an amazing resprite of terra using that lame color palette.
[Image: final_fantasy_6_terra_remix_by_p0c0l0c0-d3dd6o0.png]
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
hahahaha

that remake of Terra is my handy work

I'm not gonna lie, I slightly made the green a bit darker :p

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
I don't think "bad" or "crappy" is very considerate since there personal opinions and could have been worded "not what i'm aiming for" and been the end of it. People put a lot of there own time and share there works FOR FREE. There isn't very much available online for FF6 custom sprites. There's a time and place for constructive criticism like your asking for right now but slaming others work in your thread just doesn't seem very polite to me. I'm not trying to come across as rude or be an @ss btw, im just saying we're all artists donating our works for all to use and we should all show each other respect even if we're not fond of some peoples work. I've seen some modders stop sharing works all over disrespect. i for one would rather have MORE modders and resources available to choose from not less. Rant over....

recolors are a hit and miss around here. it seems most love or hate em. theres not much middle ground. Poco for instance from his posts i've gathered isn't fond of them. I myself prefer custom and its adds a more freshness then changing some colors, my opinion. BUT, with that said i also think recolors have there place, i wish there were actually TWO subforums in the exchange one for custum sprites and one for recolors. this would solve a LOT of the issue people who are not fond of one or the other or who prefer a group that share there like interest. I use recolors and im sure most have as you almost have to use recolors when altering pallets at some point.

I have to disagree with your view on the caped terra, which i believe is Pocos. i think it looks better blonde and i recolor the odd purple skirt into a miniskirt, but it's a damn good sprite. I actually plan to use that sprite in my mod. I LOVE the hair on that sprite! One thing to keep in mind is all sprites i think look like crap close up, say in paint or ff6usme. When viewed in game on an emulator and you have a decent renderer selected it's a completely different ballgame. When ran on 3x i think the hair looks amazing for being 16bit. i actually design my sprites to run on 3x and always have to go back and tweak them to match the setting. You had a small taste of the pallete issue and we all have to adjust as best we can within the limitations. once you make a custom sprite you have a new respect for the work some have achieved when considering the pallet problems, limited tile size, and shared tiles that fight you at every turn. I've scrapped more sprites than i have finished once i've realized that with shared tiles my design just wont work within the limits of the game in a few frames making the whole sprite worthless. It took 3 complete remakes to get my Esper angel Trance finished with all the limitations.

Option A is my favorite recolor btw.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
personally I dont hate recolors, I did a few myself the only thing I dont like about it is if people are tying to come off saying or acting like they made the whole thing from scratch (not saying anything against you personally but we dealt with a lot of people like that in the past here)

personally doing recolors/tweaks to original chars gives them a unique flavor, I am making a hardtype/tweaked hack and most of my cast is changed at least slightly

as for your recolor itself, I think the hair looks good but personally if you are tying to match anamo make it brighter, she has a more pale blond then that as for the outfit, color-wise its so so, like you are on the right track, but the whitish/grayish color should be a bit pinker, and the pink she has should be a bit more dull, anamo's style in this FF6 version isnt as flamboyant as 4 or 5, its a bit more dull and depressing when compared to them (color scheme of course)

the caped Terra is not my work btw it belongs to sutebenu

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC