Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Rate my VGM cover, next user!

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
This idea is taken from other forums. You give a rating on 10 about the previous song and then you post one. The next poster do the same. Easy right? We will be able to discover new songs and see the musical taste of users. If everyone participate, this can be fun and never ending. However I will state some basic rules:

1) Post a VGM cover or remix. It can be music from any genre, from a guy alone playing the flute to electronic music.

2) No original song from the game. I am not sure about arrangements, sometimes they sound really close to the original. Let's say we tolerate arrangements but try to be original.

3) Rate on 10 the previous song and say why you like or dislike it.

4) Wait for a least that two users post before reposting.

5) Don't post if you're not posting a video and commenting the previous one.

I'll start. Sadly there is no song to rate for me :P

Let's hope we can discover a few songs from each others...

Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Generally nice idea but Well I have to be fair i think the rate part is not rly working out unless we strictly rate based on technicalities only, which is extremely hard. Music is way too subjective, unless a remix is technically complete trash I would never rate below 8 since it feels rude considering its just personal opinion and nothing more. Its like i never press the dislike button on YT for music. If i dont like a track i dont rate.

Example: Im not only not a fan of chiptunes I also think, like with 90% of vgm music remixes, the original frog theme is just way better (imo usually only arrangements and masterings will improve vgm music, and unless and orchestra plays it which btw is rather arrangement than remix, not even instrumental covers do much good.). Alrdy feel bad saying that and normally wouldnt have, just did it to underline my point. From a tchnical point of view I guess its good work but I think its pointless ot rate the technical part on music, since only the emotion it creates counts. I wont give you a number.

Find

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(11-22-2012, 08:32 PM)Terramano Wrote: Generally nice idea but Well I have to be fair i think the rate part is not rly working out unless we strictly rate based on technicalities only, which is extremely hard. Music is way too subjective, unless a remix is technically complete trash I would never rate below 8 since it feels rude considering its just personal opinion and nothing more. Its like i never press the dislike button on YT for music. If i dont like a track i dont rate.
You shouldnt feel bad about voting, as you said its totally subjective. Even if 90% of the world population think a song is bad, it doesnt mean its bad or that the other 10% is wrong, it just mean they dont like it and its not made for them.
Imo, i like to be surprised by a remix, but, nothing beats the original.
As for the Terranigma song, its a little bit slow to start, but after 1:00, its really good. 7/10 Wink
Heres an instrumental medley of ff6:

[Image: rrj.gif]
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
This guy's medley is really good. I've listened to it before and would give a 9/10 the missing point being for one or two song that are not present in the Medley. The finale is epic. Good choice!

Now we can post original songs if you guys want, I don't mind. Maybe this will make more people participate in the thread... You can also vote or not vote but at least give a comment...

Now a deconstructed Terra's theme. A mix of chiptune sounds and some dubstep influences. Not my favorite the first time I listened it but now I really like it.

Find

Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Tongue

Well to your track, Conisdering what it is its pretty good work and deconstructed definitely fits the tack perfectly. I love the original theme and since you enjoy ratings id give it an 7/10 (Reason I rly dont like dubsteppy stuff anymore but chip parts give me nostalgia in most cases so that evens it out)

For my song I will follow your authorisation and post my favorite boss theme of all time.

Reason: is its melodic is strong, it varies its pace alot, its very classically dramatic (its especially fit for an action rpg like terranigma is) and when the part at 1:52 kicks in SO unexpectedly you suddenly feel like so heroic (dont take it too literally obviously XD but it describes the surprise best).
A lil bonus is the generally epic last boss in terranigma (not by difficulty)

PS:Terranigma has generally for me the by far best soundtrack (well it is as stated elsewhere, for me my favorite video game of all time followed by Seiken densetsu 2 and FF6 (all three are technically great and all 3 bear absolute! nostalgia for me) of any game Ive ever played, and literally every track is memorable when you played the game.

Try to listen to it till at least 2:30 without skipping, just do somethign else meanwhile because the part I mentioned it after all that preceeds it makes this track so good imo
  Find

Threads: 7
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Didnt really liked "Dark Gaea". It felt a little bit over dramatic. Also, i guess the fact that i have never played Terranigma doesnt help. 5/10
Personnaly, the ost i like the most come from FF6, Chrono Trigger and Lufia, in that order.
18 minutes Mario meddley, made by the original composer.

I really love the part at 5:45 Mario 64, 9:45 Mario Rpg (Geno Theme) and 13:20 Mario Rpg ( Boss Battle).

[Image: rrj.gif]
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
I love that Daemoth!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Zeemis! You're breaking the chain! :P

Another epic medley! I did listened to some Happy Hardcore after that. This medley gives a new life to old Mario songs! 9.5/10

Now this is one of my favorite Persona remix. I love the voices in it and the violin part starting around 3:50. The fast paced keyboard notes near the end of the song (8:50) are making me go crazy. Not as good as the Mario medley though!

Find

Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
8.5/10 Techo...I think it is, I'm not fully sure. Isn't one of my favoite music genes, but It's Persona, it's very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eM7TR1nTOQ
  Find