Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Kefka refuses to change palettes even when Hex Editing...

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
So, my hack requires to have Kefka having palette 2. I went and downloaded the character ID file to hex-edit the ROM and give him the palette /2 using these offsets:

CC:A4CA (CA6CA)
CB:113C (B133C)
CB:3ACC (B3CCC)
CC:000C (C020C)
CC:0304 (C0504)

...but nothing happened when I tested it at Kefka's Tower. He was still at palette 3. What should I do? What am I doing wrong?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
This is a case where kefka is an non-playable character (NPC). Those assignements you posted the code of are for Kefka as character. The difference between the two is that a character will appear sooner or later in a fight, regardless if he's on the good or bad side. The NPC is only in an event, e.g. on a map.

You must therefore change the palette of the NPC in every event he appear, like the Magitek factory, when he poison the Doma river, etc... The easiest way to do this is with FF6LE editor.

Find

Status
None
Man, I must start my hack over, since the program crashes when I load my hacked ROM...
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(11-22-2012, 10:26 PM)NitroHedgehog Wrote: Man, I must start my hack over, since the program crashes when I load my hacked ROM...

You can do the changes without the editor. All you need is the NPC document which will give you the offset of your NPC, given you know exactly in which map he is but there is a relatively good map description in the document. You can found the NPC document on izmogelmo's site.
  Find

Status
None
(11-22-2012, 10:38 PM)Ⓐ Mᴀᴅsɪᴜʀ Ⓐ Wrote:
(11-22-2012, 10:26 PM)NitroHedgehog Wrote: Man, I must start my hack over, since the program crashes when I load my hacked ROM...

You can do the changes without the editor. All you need is the NPC document which will give you the offset of your NPC, given you know exactly in which map he is but there is a relatively good map description in the document. You can found the NPC document on izmogelmo's site.

Thanks for the info. This will prevent me from re-doing everything over and over again, since it took me days to do this.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
its things like that that make the whole learning experience worth it, as frustrating as it can be, at the end of the day its more then worth it trust me

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC