Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Event bits beyond $1EDF

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Sleep
I have read through Novalia Spirit's event bit document which has helped me with regards to custom events. I have noticed though that this is giving me trouble with a certain type of NPC event. I am looking to do something similar to the dragons in the WoR or Atma in Kefka's Tower where talking to the NPC initiates a battle, and then the NPC disappears afterwards. I see in those events that after defeat it clears an event bit that is after $1EDF, in the example of Atma it would be $1F57, bit 5.

My question would be is there documentation on these other event bits? Or can I use the current unused bits in a similar way in that by making the NPC disappear and then clearing an unused bit I can make is so they won't appear again if I come back into the room? I think I may be pretty close to the answer here but I feel like I am missing something.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Those bit are NPC appearance bit you can see in FF6LE for each NPC I think. Some NPC that don't disappear from the game at one point have all the same one others have a specific one. I don't remember the exact scope of these bits but you can check which ones are taken with the NPC document found on Imzogelmo's site. There are a bunch of free NPC bits. I just don't remember where they stop.

If I understand your question, you can use whatever free NPC bit there is. First you make your sprite disappear after the battle and clear (or set) NPC bit X. Then in the entrance event of your map you put a condition: if NPC bit X is clear (or set), show sprite Y; if not continue with the event code. The offset of a entrance event of a map can be identified in FF6LE.

I'm a bit rusty with event and maybe someone could give you a better answer but this is how I was doing this kind of stuff when I was coding something that needed to disappear from the map after an event and you can re-enter the map.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
I will need to use this precise function too in my hack, obviously. meaning that if you manage to figure out all the angles, it would be nice if you could share it in this topic.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
I'm not sure about any new or unused memory bits that can be used, I mean, I thought they are all used, unlike event bits that have many unused ones in-between. I once tried to create a new mem bit by locating the last one that's used in the game, then using the very next one in order - I forget why that never worked out really, so now I just recycle them from previous maps that you will never go to again, like the Guards that attack you on the beggining Narshe map, Atma Weapon on the Floating Continent, etc.

Just re-set their mem bits shortly after the map is done being used forever, and you can use them again elsewhere, right? Sometimes it's all about finding alternative methods to achieve what you want.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 4
Status
Sleep
Thanks for the input guys!

(11-13-2012, 04:10 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Just re-set their mem bits shortly after the map is done being used forever, and you can use them again elsewhere, right? Sometimes it's all about finding alternative methods to achieve what you want.

This is pretty much what I did. 4 good bytes for any WoB exclusive events would be the ones for the fish that you feed to Cid, which are $1EED:1, $1EED:2, $1EED:3, and $1EED:4. I got an event to work with an NPC but the bytes start out cleared, so you would have to have an event somewhere have them set so that you can see the NPC.

Basically I have made a couple battles with espers where you acquire them afterwards. I also made a separate event that uses a caseword to make sure that you have to have Terra in the party before going to the room where each is, so within that I set the event bit so that the NPC would appear.