What should I try to sprite next?

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
I'll make it into a poll for you

but when making a poll just check the box that says I want to post a poll lolz

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
I vote Edea. She has an excellent design and I think it would be a challenge.

We should totally make a dissidia hack as a site project. I already know how to add as many sprites as you want. Just gotta move some pointer lists to make room for extra entries.

The game wouldn't have to be long, but could start with the hero of light meeting cosmos and then having to find all the other heros in order to stop chaos.

It would obviously require new events/maps/even tilesets... I'm sure we could get a bunch of us involved. Plus, it could be an ongoing project to use as advertisement for the site...

Just a thought.
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Well...I did have a sprite sheet of Cosmos that had all the walking sprites done...but like nearly all of my sprites it has disappeared...
  Find

Threads: 76
Thanks Received: 9
Thanks Given: 13
Status
None
@Edrin its a very good idea! I would love to see that.

@Sutebenu Its really too bad Sad Its a big lost. I saw your cosmos on a thread and it was amazing
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-21-2012, 06:18 PM)Edrin Wrote: We should totally make a dissidia hack as a site project. I already know how to add as many sprites as you want. Just gotta move some pointer lists to make room for extra entries.

I like the idea. Have you tried to add more sprite and use the ones you added past the limit on PC/NPC ? I though there was more things to change such as harcoded offsets in the different banks because in this case moving all the data and expanding it is a better option than having sprites in two places in the ROM. Having the sprite data separated would require a lot of change in the ASM code.

But you're right in a way: When I expanded the monster data it wasn't that difficult to do but a relocalization is require to keep things simple.

(09-21-2012, 06:18 PM)Edrin Wrote: It would obviously require new events/maps/even tilesets... I'm sure we could get a bunch of us involved. Plus, it could be an ongoing project to use as advertisement for the site...

That would be a nice project. The problem is, from what I've seen on the site, all the team projects here eventually died before seeing the light of the day. The thing I hate the most is participating in something that will not be finished. If it's your own project it's ok, but if it involves others you need to finish what you begin.

Another thing is that I've have always been for optimization (as much as possible) and full documentation in events and ASM coding, a way to proceed that not everyone shares. It's a longer process but it makes the debugging and understanding of work of others easier. If I ever join such a project, we need to have general guidelines regarding this. And a good pre-production (planning) on many levels would also be a good thing, not just deciding to change everything as we go.

I really like the idea though and I would join as long as what I mentionned is relatively accepted by everyone. It could be a way to involve many people on the site like you say and most likely increase team spirit and cooperation. I'm willing to participate in creating events, data relocalization and other ASM task. I can also do music. Some spriters could do tilesets, I'm sure if they can draw nice sprites they can do tilesets also. Other editor stuff can be done by everyone so there's no rush for that.

We're only talking here but it's my general idea on the subject Tongue
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
I know the feeling. In college my first custom spritesheet was a full Vargas sheet that I lost when the whole computer fried. It was bad enough losing one. I can't imagine a whole ton. After that I've started keeping backups and backups of backups and documentation of my backups for everything.
  Find

Threads: 76
Thanks Received: 9
Thanks Given: 13
Status
None
@madsiur I absolutely agree with you! If we begin a project like that, we must finish it .I'm sure many people would join too!
Here is a little tease of my edea kramer but you have to vote for her before next week saturday 29 if you want me to work on her Wink
[Image: 42b51d457dc9c85fe2d68b306aa839bec98590a6...65864g.jpg]
[Image: 9aa60f3d80f50cbcc2acc281aa6fba908bf6f905...604b4g.jpg]
[Image: 14d62e28a5dcf4fa9d090fc191e7a4c86bc49d3c...2d334g.jpg]
[Image: 33679ca106fe3bb7f54b44620705111a0117a06c...5a084g.jpg]
[Image: ae2fd6da4f665b69d31bf1439e38e31eebbc145e...ba314g.jpg]
[Image: b537e9f2780af58131cd087b9912f07d8a86962d...bb614g.jpg]
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
(09-21-2012, 11:50 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I like the idea. Have you tried to add more sprite and use the ones you added past the limit on PC/NPC ? I though there was more things to change such as harcoded offsets in the different banks because in this case moving all the data and expanding it is a better option than having sprites in two places in the ROM. Having the sprite data separated would require a lot of change in the ASM code.

But you're right in a way: When I expanded the monster data it wasn't that difficult to do but a relocalization is require to keep things simple.

I haven't done extensive testing, but I expanded the number of battle characters with full sprite sheets to almost double. The battle sprite pointers are absolute so they can point anywhere you want, you just need to make sure you move the list somewhere with enough space and update the code in C1. Same goes for the battle palette assignments. One thing I noticed was that characters higher than Kefka don't do the victory pose. I'm assuming this is fixable, but I didn't explore it further. I was only doing proof of concept testing.

I didn't do any testing for overworld sprites, but this is probably doable, there are huge gaps further down the pointer list where you could put a large number of sprites. My thought was to put a transformation function in C1 that maps those higher overworld numbers to their much lower battle ID numbers.

The only hangup I see right now I'm pretty sure is overcomable I just need to do more research, and thats in the area of extra-menu palettes such as for the save screen, shops, etc... Those seem to work quite a bit differently than the normal ones and I need to take a closer look at the code to see how much work would be involved to expand it. I'm sure its doable tho.

There would still be limitations like a maximum of 16 usable characters at any given point, and we couldn't expand the number of usable menu palettes without a major overhaul of the VRAM (way beyond me), so there may be a few sacrifices that would need to be made in the area of quality... but all-in-all, very doable.

(09-21-2012, 11:50 PM)Madsiur Wrote: That would be a nice project. The problem is, from what I've seen on the site, all the team projects here eventually died before seeing the light of the day. The thing I hate the most is participating in something that will not be finished. If it's your own project it's ok, but if it involves others you need to finish what you begin.

I feel the exact same way. But to be totally truthful, I am more dedicated to my personal project than I would be to this. And I'm sure most people would fit into that category. The idea is to set realistic goals and to have clear planning in place... a way to allow a project manager the ability to coordinate and reassign tasks as needed.

(09-21-2012, 11:50 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Another thing is that I've have always been for optimization (as much as possible) and full documentation in events and ASM coding, a way to proceed that not everyone shares. It's a longer process but it makes the debugging and understanding of work of others easier. If I ever join such a project, we need to have general guidelines regarding this. And a good pre-production (planning) on many levels would also be a good thing, not just deciding to change everything as we go.

Exactly. The more effort that goes into planning, the less difficult it will be to follow through. Documentation will be a huge deal. I could go on and on about this, but maybe that's better saved for later.

(09-21-2012, 11:50 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I really like the idea though and I would join as long as what I mentionned is relatively accepted by everyone. It could be a way to involve many people on the site like you say and most likely increase team spirit and cooperation. I'm willing to participate in creating events, data relocalization and other ASM task. I can also do music. Some spriters could do tilesets, I'm sure if they can draw nice sprites they can do tilesets also. Other editor stuff can be done by everyone so there's no rush for that.

I'm a battle mechanics nut, I would definitely be willing to put a lot into C1 and C2 editing. I'm not great with the graphical, but I get by, and I'm learning more. I really shine on the logic side of both banks tho, I've easily spent way more time there (over 100 hours in just a few months) than anywhere else in my hack so far. And I'm only 3 abilities deep +some custom spell effects.

I'm also decent on spriting, but there are way better spriters on the site. I plan to learn at least a little bit of everything for my hack though, so I would be happy to help anywhere it's needed.

I also think I could take 2nd seat to the project manager. I don't have the time to dedicate to being the main coordinator, but I would definitely want to be in the loop and would be willing to pick up the reigns if it became needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Could we get this part of the discussion moved to its own thread somewhere? I feel like we should put some serious discussion into this.
  Find