Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Arc Rise Fantasia

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Hey guys, have you guys noticed that a lot of the old style RPG's seem to be dieing out and are being replaced by more modernized styles like Skyrim, or Fable? Don't get me wrong, I love Skyrim and my friends live Fable; however, the turn-based battle system has a certain place in my heart. That's why I'm writing this thread here about a turn-based RPG called "Arc Rise Fantasia".

Arc Rise Fantasia is a neat little turn-based RPG on the Wii, it tries to follow the traditional RPG style. It uses a character turn system that I've never seen before in these types of RPG's as well. At the top right of your screen while in-battle, you have something called "AP" which defines who will be attacking. Each players attacks require AP, so some players may not attack whereas some will. You get to decide.
Check this video out about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkUZqXdF_zE

I haven't played Arc Rise Fantasia very long; however, right off the bat, the only thing that really unimpresses me a slight bit about this game is the voice acting. I love the graphics, the battle system and the fact that someone finally created a game using the ATB system.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
Am with u on this one zeemis i miss the old atb too just dont feel like n rpg without it... square enix shoulda picked up on the fact that thats why there last couple of final fantasy games havnt recieved as much praise.. there alienating alot of of there old fans with these new real time battle games.

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Status
Traitor
I think that Square-Enix is trying to cater to modern gamers instead of sticking with tradition. I do give them credit though, they do still make -some- games for us veteran gamers who were lucky enough to grow up with the ATB styled games.
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years comes to mind. They also do remakes which doesn't really peek our attention too much; however, it does give a chance for modern day gamers who're blinded by the media to play these wonderful games.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Final Fantasy Dimension (Final Fantasy Legend remake) will be out august 31 on IOS and Android. It will, of course have a turn based system or a ATB although the original was only turn based I'm pretty sure. The graphics look really nice. Probably the next game I will play, the last being FFIV Advance on PSP a year ago.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/07/if-...imensions/
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Status
Obliviscence
Most games these days are little more than glorified cutscenes with button mashing added to give the player a cheap sense of accomplishment. Nothing really seems planned or timed... just a whole bunch of fluff. It's good to see a game that goes back to rpg roots. Unfortunately I won't be able to support the game since I pretty much gave up my gamer life style in favor of a family and career. All I've got left are some classic games and hacking.

That Final Fantasy Dimension sounds interesting tho... might be able to grab that for my phone.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-27-2012, 12:26 PM)Edrin Wrote: Most games these days are little more than glorified cutscenes with button mashing added to give the player a cheap sense of accomplishment. Nothing really seems planned or timed... just a whole bunch of fluff. It's good to see a game that goes back to rpg roots. Unfortunately I won't be able to support the game since I pretty much gave up my gamer life style in favor of a family and career. All I've got left are some classic games and hacking.

I also don't really like most of modern RPGs. Maybe it's nostalgia or maybe I just lost interest in video games, but I only play remakes of old games that I loved in the 90's. I played maybe a total of 10 hours of video game in the last year.

I don't even hack anymore, one of the reason why I am not on the forum often. I rather spend my time on activism and thing that change really something, or at least give me the impression that I change something. My hobbies switched to follow politic and social movements but I'm still working on my FFVI Advance editor.

But yeah if I had a family it would probably be my 1st priority like you. Next time I will stay in my room for 1 week will probably when there will be a FFVI or FFVII PS3/PS4/Vita remake.

What a unrelated post to the topic lol... Tongue
  Find