Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Idea for an Event Editor

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
So I've been browsing around, looking for tips on event editing, and I have come to the conclusion that I'm eventually going to have to learn Hex because no editor does that kind of thing. However, I can imagine what an event editing program would be like.

With the current way of editing events, you have to go to the right part of the ROM in WindHex and know what all of the codes mean.
However, my idea would be that the program would open the ROM like a hex editor, read those codes, and tell you what they do!

For example, let's say that in WindHex, you see a code. If you were to look up the code on a page like this, you would see that it makes a character walk left three squares. In this imaginary program, you would just see "walk left 3," and if you click on it, there would be a menu where you could change it to "walk right, crouch, laugh," etc. You'd probably still need an event dump to tell you where you are in the ROM, but it would be easier than referencing text files all of the time to see where to go in the ROM and what the codes do.

Now I'm not asking for somebody to magically whip up a program, but do you think this makes sense?
  Find

Status
None
I'm no hex expert, and can only code effectivly while intoxicated, but what your talking about sound a whole lot like loading a table file up in Windhex...

I don't use Windhex personally (couldn't find a 64 bit version and hate breaking the laptop out just to run a hex editor) but... from watching video tutorials that really sounds alot like using table files to edit text. Don't know if there is one for events though.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(08-16-2012, 05:38 PM)Catone Wrote: I don't use Windhex personally (couldn't find a 64 bit version and hate breaking the laptop out just to run a hex editor)

I have windows 64-bit version and windhex works perfectly for me. Been using it for more than two years now.

If an event editor would ever exist, it would also need the capability of either finding or creating free space. The events are coded in such a way that there is no more space for new ones. That is, unless you either move the game's text somewhere else, or you know the magical event command B2, there is no space for new events.

Status
None
No clue then, guess my desktop just likes being an ass. Eh, HxD seems to be slightly more friendly, even if less SNES oriented, than Windhex anyway. Despite not having tables.... HxD can't load tables can it?

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-16-2012, 07:12 PM)Catone Wrote: No clue then, guess my desktop just likes being an ass. Eh, HxD seems to be slightly more friendly, even if less SNES oriented, than Windhex anyway. Despite not having tables.... HxD can't load tables can it?

The only reason I'm using (sometimes) Windhex is for the tables. On all other levels HxD and IVI32 are superior free hex editors. Try to copy paste something in WindHex...
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
What you want is here. Search for "EventDisasm.zip".

It is essentially what you are looking for, without the editor part. It includes the descriptions as well as the hex, so all you will need to do is open up an editor and make your changes. And... if you know that super-fantabulous B2 command, you have practically unlimited space to work with. It will also serve as a gateway drug into hex editing in general... once you get hooked, it's hard to stop.

I typically just use HxD.
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(08-17-2012, 09:11 AM)Edrin Wrote: if you know that super-fantabulous B2 command, you have practically unlimited space to work with. It will also serve as a gateway drug into hex editing in general... once you get hooked, it's hard to stop.

You're so damn right XD. Once you discover this, you'll be addicted to creating custom events. And then, you'll figure out that there are many ways to code a single event.

The deeper you want to go, the more you'll learn from this game.

Status
None
I love the simplicity and awesomeness of sprite-based cutscenes. Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try.
  Find

Status
None
Hey guys! Since the last post, I have worked my way around using WindHex and Table files. However, I am still having problems finding the locations of events in the ROM. I watched xJCSx's video that talked about how the EventScriptTXT is off because of the ROM's header, but it still is hard to find. Do you think it could be different because I've changed some text and sprites? Also, I used FF3usME to expand the rom - now that I think about it, I bet that's the source of my problem.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-11-2012, 09:42 AM)vince94 Wrote: However, I am still having problems finding the locations of events in the ROM. I watched xJCSx's video that talked about how the EventScriptTXT is off because of the ROM's header, but it still is hard to find. Do you think it could be different because I've changed some text and sprites? Also, I used FF3usME to expand the rom - now that I think about it, I bet that's the source of my problem.

Changing some text or sprites or expanding the ROM does not move the events from their original place. Now if I remember right, the event dump was produce with a headerless ROM, so if your ROM has a header, add 0x200 bytes to the offset you see in the event dump. You can simply remove the header from your ROM and then you would match the offsets in the event dump.

Find