Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Battle command pointers and general question

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(08-10-2012, 09:41 PM)Catone Wrote: Har har, found me a pointer... I think.

C1/7C14 is the line that makes the jump to the Row command from battle menu selection (think I said that right). If you redirect it to the Item command line, 5769 instead of 5631, it will open the item selection menu then allow you to select, target, and prepare to use the item.

Then it comes to a grinding halt and crash. From my playing in C2, and rewriting the Row command section to reroute over to Item (at the time I thought was just the animation portion of it) everything to do with actually using the item selected from C1 seems to be handled in C2.

What I still can't figure out is how, or where, it links from C1 selection to C2 execution... apparently it is not sent over from the Item command section of C1 though.

C1 and C2 are the banks in the rom that handle things during battle. Banks D0 and D1 are also handled with battle events and the like.

C1 handles the size of the menus, as well as the display of some ability names (For example, Magitek, Magic and Tools). Bank C2 is responsible for the actual code of the ability, so you need to go to C2 as well and change the pointers too.

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I am sorry to necro this thread, but it is directly related to what I am seeking to do and I figure since you guys were so close at doing this, you likely have pertinent and valuable information on this topic.

Were you able to replace Row with Item and it not crash the game? I was considering just removing the Item command completely, but then I would have to figure out something with Dried Meat not being necessary for Gau and also it really limits the characters before they get magic and also removes their ability to use items such as Ether or Elixir, which they'll need to use. Replacing Row with Item is an amazing idea as Row isn't really a command I've ever used and it gives me my end goal of giving 4 usable commands in the main menu area.

I believe I understand what to do with the C1 bank, as it seems pretty straightforward from the previous posts. What I am not understanding is what to do in the C2 bank and if anything really needs to be done with D0 and D1. If I understand it correctly, I need to do something else in C2, but not D0 and D1, but I don't know what to do in C2 or if the OP even got this to operate correctly.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
The first place I'd look is C2/19EF and probably change that pointer to match Item (at C2/19C9). The same thing may need to be done at C2/279E. I don't believe anything would need to be done with D0 or D1.

You may also need to look at C2/04D2 if you want to keep muddled/charmed/coliseum auto-battling characters from using items.

As for Gau, you can just change the trigger for the event. Check the battle script for monster #370.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None

(04-04-2013, 12:31 AM)Synchysi Wrote: The first place I'd look is C2/19EF and probably change that pointer to match Item (at C2/19C9). The same thing may need to be done at C2/279E. I don't believe anything would need to be done with D0 or D1.

You may also need to look at C2/04D2 if you want to keep muddled/charmed/coliseum auto-battling characters from using items.

As for Gau, you can just change the trigger for the event. Check the battle script for monster #370.
Thanks for the advice! I can't believe I didn't think about that with Gau. For some reason it didn't occur to me he's a monster then, even though it's pretty blatantly obvious.

I tried the other things you attempted and have had mixed results. I have successfully changed Def. to Fight using what you suggested but in Def's locations and the only thing that doesn't occur is the battle animation. This makes sense as I haven't changed that yet, mainly due to not understanding how yet (I'm learning as I go).

However, when I changed Row to Item doing exactly what you mentioned, my character will switch rows with the switch row animation, a blank dialogue text box will appear, AND they will do damage to the enemy as if I chose Fight.

Here are the changes I made:

Original:

C2/279E: 18 (Row)
C2/279F: 18 (Def.)
Changed to:

C2/279E: 1A (originally Row, now Item)
C2/279F: 20 (originally Def., now Fight)

Original:
C2/19EF: 4C 19 (Row)
C2/19F1: 6A 19 (Def.)

What I changed to:

C2/19EF: 97 19 (originally Row, now Item)
C2/19F1: C8 15 (originally Def, now Fight)

I am uncertain, but I am wondering if I also need to do what was mentioned below.
(08-11-2012, 10:42 AM)Angelo Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 09:41 PM)Catone Wrote: Har har, found me a pointer... I think.

C1/7C14 is the line that makes the jump to the Row command from battle menu selection (think I said that right). If you redirect it to the Item command line, 5769 instead of 5631, it will open the item selection menu then allow you to select, target, and prepare to use the item.

Then it comes to a grinding halt and crash. From my playing in C2, and rewriting the Row command section to reroute over to Item (at the time I thought was just the animation portion of it) everything to do with actually using the item selected from C1 seems to be handled in C2.

What I still can't figure out is how, or where, it links from C1 selection to C2 execution... apparently it is not sent over from the Item command section of C1 though.

C1 and C2 are the banks in the rom that handle things during battle. Banks D0 and D1 are also handled with battle events and the like.

C1 handles the size of the menus, as well as the display of some ability names (For example, Magitek, Magic and Tools). Bank C2 is responsible for the actual code of the ability, so you need to go to C2 as well and change the pointers too.
At C1/7C14 I am not understanding what is meant by change 5631 to 5769. I've searched the entire ROM for those two as hex and have not found a thing. My hex in the location listed is C901. I am guessing I am missing something or misunderstanding something and just misreading what was written.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-04-2013, 02:06 PM)CMFL Wrote: At C1/7C14 I am not understanding what is meant by change 5631 to 5769. I've searched the entire ROM for those two as hex and have not found a thing. My hex in the location listed is C901. I am guessing I am missing something or misunderstanding something and just misreading what was written.

I got this listed in the dissasembly:

Code:
C1/7C14:    4C3156      JMP $5631

I believe this is the jump to the row command when you are in the battle menu. By changing that to a JMP $5769, you're making a jump to the item command. This should open the item menu instead of showing row, but it is game crashing as Canote said. Also, check if your ROM has a header. In this case the jump command would be at C1/7E14.

Find