Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sprite Issues

Status
None
Ok, so I'm really new at sprite editing. I'm not really creating them for any purpose other than just to exist. I'm currently working on a FF3(DS) Refia using Relm. I've gotten all of the walking sprites finished so I decided to check her out in the game. It looked fine, but when I got into battle the top of her head was lined in white in some of the sprites. Now, I haven't really gotten as far as battle sprites for her, but the top of her head was taken from other sprites so I don't see why it would look like that. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I'm using the FF3se btw. I'd appreciate any help Smile

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
personally I would use the relm editor or the latest version of usme to edit the sprites,

since that provides much more detail it would be best to take a look at it there to see if there are any issues in certain tiles

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
I hadn't thought of that. Well, I have the relm editor and I just checked them out and they all look fine. I haven't tried usme but I will check it out. I like ff3se because it shows me the whole picture while I'm working. The relm editor is kinda confusing to me with all its little pieces *-*;; Maybe it's just the rom I'm using bc the sprites look fine to me other than being half finished. It does say bad rom when I load the game on znes, but idk if that's normal for sprite editing...oh well, I'll just keep working on it and try a few different things. Thanks.

*Edit*

Well, I figured out what was causing it but not really why. It has something to do with my palette. I had a second copy of the rom hack-free so I loaded the Refia sprite sheet into it without putting the palette across the top and it looked fine. Then I tried again on the second rom with the palette at the top and it was showing the white lining on the battle sprites. Does order of the palette matter when its working better with the order it defined? I'm still not sure why it does that but at least its easily fixed.

Status
None
the order of the palette is EXTREMELY important, and will affect any other sprite using the same palette

this is the correct order

1. Transparent
2. Black (outline)
3. White (eye color)
4. Pupils
5. Hair (lighter shade)
6. Hair (darker shade)
7. Skin (lighter tone)
8. Skin (darker tone)
9. Outfit 1 (lighter shade)
10. Outfit 1 (darker shade)
11. Outfit 2 (lighter shade)
12. Outfit 2 (darker shade)
13. NPC color (dont use)
14. NPC color (dont use)
15. NPC color (dont use)
16. NPC color (dont use)

this info should be helpful, remember to put them in this order and this order alone

that is the only way other chars wont be affected

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
Ah, thanks a bunch hun ^-^ Had too many freaking colors. Well, I got the palette set right and sprite colors adjusted but it's still picking up the four other colors. I guess I'll have to finish the sheet to get rid of any instances of them so they'll show up black on the palette like the ones I downloaded from here. You've been a great help <3 Hopefully within the next few day I'll get her finished and posted.

Status
None
if you need any further help I'd be more then happy to assist you

add me on skype if u have it

pocoloco211

-HNIC

Status
None
Sweet, thanks. Well, I have skype, but my flipping camera is broken. I'll add you anyway if i remember my s/n and maybe I'll get a camera ;p

Status
None
well a camera isnt needed but hey its what makes skype so awesome

I'm on now anyway

-HNIC

Status
None
Haha I've never really used skype much. I didn't know you could use it without a camera *-*; You're just teaching me all kinds of things lol. I should definitely try to remember my s/n then.

Status
None
haha no problem Smile

just open up skype I'm sure that ur s/n will be there lol

-HNIC