Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Custom Sprites for hacking project

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I'm looking for someone who would like to contribute to my hack by doing custom sprite replacing the portraits. I will need one pose for each character, including a different one for Biggs and Wedge, one for the imp and maybe one for esper Terra, but I'm not sure about the last one yet.

The sprites could be in Romancing Saga 3 style or other style if you're more comfortable with something else, but I don't want some generic 16x24 sprite. The base size is 24x36 but this is not definitive and I could allow something up to 32x36. Remember that the portraits are 40x40 and the idea here is to have something a bit smaller. Some characters could have weapons and the palette would be 16 colors. I would like the sprite to have a similar palette to the original colors, but there could be variations too. The idea is to have a unique pose for each character, like a casting, punching, running or kicking pose. Here's some sample showing how I would like the sprites to look like:

[Image: sample.png]
RS3 and FF custom sprite

I might also need a name plate of a 8x40, 16x48 or 16x56 size for each character, excluding the Imp and esper Terra. Biggs/Wedge would have the same. The class of the character would be displayed and you could use a similar palette but it's going to be a different palette loaded, so it could be a total different palette of 16 colors. The whole name plate idea is not definitive yet and I might remove this idea if my menu layout doesn't work out. The sprites are more important.

My hack won't be out before months or even years so there is no rush but it's a serious project. In exchange, I could spend some hacking time on your project if you have one or compose a custom FFVI song as an example. I will put the same amount of time that you put to create my sprites. The person who would be willing to help me with this won't be able to post his work on this or any other forum, as I want to make this feature unique to my hack. I will however post screenshots of the menu once it is completed and give proper credits in my hack. That's all for now!
  Find

Threads: 91
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Crystal
I could make a few for you if you'd like? I don't recognise a lot of the sprites but they look pretty cool!

You are wanting them in FFVI style right?
This part made me wonder:

(05-05-2012, 04:41 PM)Madsiur Wrote: The sprites could be in Romancing Saga 3 style or other style if you're more comfortable with something else, but I don't want some generic 16x24 sprite. The base size is 24x36 but this is not definitive and I could allow something up to 32x36.

I can start whenever you'd like, I'm working on a couple for requests as well so I might not be quick to finish them though.

Which sprite would you like first?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware

I could make a few for you if you'd like? I don't recognise a lot of the sprites but they look pretty cool!

Those sprites are from RS3 and some of them are from a japanese artist site. I posted these for examples of the poses I would like and the for size too.

(05-05-2012, 05:29 PM)FEOK Wrote: You are wanting them in FFVI style right?

FFVI style would be good but you can go with what suit you the best. I rather have an original 24x36 sprite (FFVI style or not) than a 16x24 FFVI standing/walking sprite. If I want 16x24 FFVI sprites, I could just take the attacking/angry/badass pose of each sprite sheet and even edit some myself.

(05-05-2012, 05:29 PM)FEOK Wrote: This part made me wonder:

Quote Madsiur:
"The sprites could be in Romancing Saga 3 style or other style if you're more comfortable with something else, but I don't want some generic 16x24 sprite. The base size is 24x36 but this is not definitive and I could allow something up to 32x36."

What I mean here is each sprite should be roughly 24x36. I have +/- 40x40 to work with including a possible nameplate at the bottom. So everything between 20x32 up to 36x36 is good, and that include a possible weapon if you want. The harms, feet or weapon can stick out as long as the whole thing fits in a 36x36 frame, but I'm not going to complain about one or two extra pixel either.

These replace the portraits, so it's less restrictive than a normal sprite since the is no movement involved and I want to give some freedom too to the spriter to come up with something nice.

(05-05-2012, 05:29 PM)FEOK Wrote: I can start whenever you'd like, I'm working on a couple for requests as well so I might not be quick to finish them though.

Which sprite would you like first?

The thing is I would like to be the same person to do all the sprite. I want an uniform style. So there is a minimum of 19 sprites (14 main characters plus Banon, Leo, "Vick and Wedge", the Imp and the ghost). At the end of the project I might add esper Terra (19) and one soldier to have biggs and wedge different (20). Worst case I could get those two plus the imp, ghost and first soldier made by someone else. That would leave the 14 main characters, Leo and Banon that should be done by the same person.

If you know people you can work with and you guys come up with an uninformed style, I have no objection that 2 people work on this. I know you can do a great job FEOK, but I don't want you to get involved in something and quitting after 3 sprites (but we never know what can happens sometimes and I understand that too...) because I would then need to find someone to continue your work in the way you started it or restart from scratch, which would be a waste.

As I said, there is no rush and you could do one sprite every month for the next year and a half if you want, my hack will require a lot of time because I constantly add stuff an ideas to it and this thread is an example. You might want to start by the main cast with gogo and umaro at the end, but I leave the rest of the order to you.

I will give you the ok when to start, I just want to see who else is interested and how we can work this out. So maybe give me a week, this will give you the time to think about this and will give the chance to others to show their interest. But don't worry you're in my top 2 choices so there shouldn't be a problem Smile
  Find

Threads: 91
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Crystal
Ahhh, I understand what you mean.

Given what's been happening recently, it probably would be best to let someone else do it this time, if my life gets a little easier anytime soon and
no-one has accepted this request I'll glady do it!

And yes, I recognise the top three Romancing SaGa 3 characters; Julian, Monica and... I'm not sure what the other guy was called haha. I've never seen those other guys before though (the ones that aren't from RS3)
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
You know, as soon as I read what you're looking for, the first thing that popped into my mind was this:

[Image: maxim.gif][Image: tia.gif][Image: guy.gif][Image: selan.gif][Image: dekar.gif][Image: lexis.gif][Image: artea.gif]

It just seems to me that the Lufia 2 menu style is EXACTLY what you're looking for, and it's rather unique so it'll probably stand out. Sadly, I'm only a frankenspriter, so I doubt I could do them personally, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-09-2012, 12:12 AM)DarkPhoenix Wrote: It just seems to me that the Lufia 2 menu style is EXACTLY what you're looking for, and it's rather unique so it'll probably stand out. Sadly, I'm only a frankenspriter, so I doubt I could do them personally, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

They actually look pretty good and I would love something similar. Yeah anything that is outside a normal 16x24 walking pose would be good. But there isn't many people on this site who could do these, only a few I think. Worst case scenario, I'll tweak existing 16x24 poses (casting pose, badass pose) from the original FFVI spritesheets. There is a lot of time left to think about that...

Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
u know maybe I can do one or 2 for u

like a perfect example would be like the custom poses I have done for Nattak

and I was thinking I can redo some and then re size them

but thats just a small example of what I mean

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-09-2012, 02:43 AM)Poco Loco Wrote: u know maybe I can do one or 2 for u

like a perfect example would be like the custom poses I have done for Nattak

and I was thinking I can redo some and then re size them

but thats just a small example of what I mean

That would be great. However, is it very hard to do a sprite if we use roughly a 22x32 format? I mean if we double everything, we get 32x48 and for each pixel you have now four (1x1 vs 2x2). In this case it's easy to redraw a pose because everything is doubled. It allows you to even add detail. But 48 pixel is too high for what I need. The height should not be more than 32 pixels.

So assuming I use some existing poses of each sprite sheet and the original dimensions (16x24), then yes you could do a couple and even as many you want. Adding weapons or drawing outside the 16x24 frame if needed would be ok too.

If I choose something more custom like a 22x32 format and custom poses, then I would need someone to do at least all the main crew because I'm afraid to not be able to fill the gaps if you don't do all characters...

So I'm kind of unsure about this...
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I think you're going about it the wrong way: Limitation breeds creativity.

Think of some poses -you- want, or find some sprites already in those poses. Then post them here and ask someone "Hey, can you make this look like Terra?" or "Can someone draw a picture of Mog doing some breakdance move?"

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-10-2012, 02:51 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: I think you're going about it the wrong way: Limitation breeds creativity.

I thought it was the opposite. While letting some freedom to whoever wants to do this, I thought it would appeal more people to do it. My only restrictions are the max size and even then, the is some flexibility. The other one is having all characters, I would be sort of stucked if I had only a few characters done.

(05-10-2012, 02:51 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Think of some poses -you- want, or find some sprites already in those poses. Then post them here and ask someone "Hey, can you make this look like Terra?" or "Can someone draw a picture of Mog doing some breakdance move?"

Maybe if I was more precise it would help, but I haven't thought of the pose of each characters yet. But any pose from the RS3 sprite would be good, like the few I posted in my first post. It depends who is really interested to do it too. I want to let the spriter get involved in the deciding process... I can't force someone to draw in RS3 style and if he/she wants to do it in FFVI style or any other game, it's fine with me.

Some inspiration:

RS3 poses: http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/saga3/sheet/10117

Treasure of the Rudras characters: http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/tr...index.html

Edit: If nobody want to do attempt this or doesn't want any hacking service in exchange, I might consider offering money in exchange if it is done in a professional way. I was going to post a request on the spriterressource.com forum, but a request thread require a least 20 post and a month of membership at least.
  Find