Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Help with Gimp

Status
None
I recently downloaded the latest version of Gimp (2.611 I believe) and I'm having trouble using it to reduce the number of colors a sprite uses. The method I know is to click on Image>Mode>Indexed and then set the maximum number of colors I want to use.

I tried doing this with a Culex sprite after I reduced it's size to fit 128x128 and when I tried attaching it to a rom using the ff3 sprite editor the image got messed up. Is there a different method for limiting the number of colors or am I missing a step?

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
I'm not sure about GIMP for that =/ I use XnView to reduce sprite's colors, size, rotate them.
It's a super user friendly program.

With XnView, it's: Image>Convert to colours

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-12-2012, 07:43 PM)D-FireX Wrote: I recently downloaded the latest version of Gimp (2.611 I believe) and I'm having trouble using it to reduce the number of colors a sprite uses. The method I know is to click on Image>Mode>Indexed and then set the maximum number of colors I want to use.

This is the good method and it always worked for me. You should limit you number of color to 15 and not 16 because transperancy is the 16th color I believe.

Now FF3se loads the palette from left to right and up to down. Maybe if you put the palette on the first 15 pixels (first row, one pixel for each color) the colors of your image will load correctly. But if it's the size that is messed up I don't know what the problem would be. I had a sprite once that the colors got messed up while importing it in FF3se.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
I was going to say the same thing Madsiur. :p
  Find

Status
None
I already tried setting the number of colors to 15 for the very reasons you mentioned. After messing around with it for a bit I might have figured it out somewhat.

I think it has something to do with the background transparency color itself. My Culex sprite had a black background transparency and when I zoomed in I noticed the color was mixed into the sprite itself all over. When I tried using a sprite with a white background transparency, my original problem went away but now I have this annoying white/grey outline surrounding my sprite.

Here's an image of what it looked like before and after the changes.

With black background

[Image: scaled.php?server=51&filename=culex.png&res=landing]

With white background (Note: I added green to make it easier to see the white outline

[Image: scaled.php?server=826&filename=culex2.png&res=landing]

If I remember, I think I saw a Culex sprite in one of your tutorials Zeemis for using ff3usme. By any chance do you remember what you did to get it to work or did you run into the same problems? If anyone can help me with this, I'd be grateful.

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-13-2012, 07:01 PM)D-FireX Wrote: I think it has something to do with the background transparency color itself. My Culex sprite had a black background transparency and when I zoomed in I noticed the color was mixed into the sprite itself all over. When I tried using a sprite with a white background transparency, my original problem went away but now I have this annoying white/grey outline surrounding my sprite.

You should try with an image that has no color as background. This is a Culex png with no background color and it does import correctly in FF3se:

[Image: culex.png]
  Find

Status
None
Wow! Where did you find that?

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-13-2012, 09:42 PM)D-FireX Wrote: Wow! Where did you find that?

I removed the background color with the "magic stick" in Gimp if I remember right. It isn't that hard to do...
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
I've attempted to make a hack of Culex before and was stopped in my tracks because I couldn't get all his gems to work all at once with the restrictions of how many molds are allowed at once on the battlefield.
I hope you have more luck as I'd like to help you with the AI for it if you can get it all working at once.
  Find

Status
None
I do know of a way to do it if I had him summon the crystals and then you fight him afterwards or vice versa but I don't think there is a way to include both unless you want to shrink Culex's sprite to make it unbelievably small or go in and redraw one of the battle backgrounds to include him and/or the crystals.

I was planning to just make him a boss by himself though rather than go through any of that trouble. Also would it be alright if I used your pedobear sprite? I was actually thinking of making a hack with him (If I can figure out how to get monsters to target players other than Terra, Celes, Sabin, and Banon).