Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF3usME dialogue issues

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I have no idea what is going on, but FF3usME, which was previously telling me it had plenty of space, is now giving me a "no free bytes" error. It tells me my dialogue space is already expanded (as it should be, I see dialogue at the very beginning of the F0 bank) yet it keeps spitting out this error.

I am going to be very pissed if I have to redo my entire hack because of this. I've put weeks of work into this, and that's just for the base rom build.

EDIT: Seems my dialogue file was filled with trash at the end. I have no idea how that happened, but it was literally eating up well over 60'000 bytes, it seems.
Should leave this here at any rate so people will know to check for that.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
I remember getting a similar error before, can't remember what caused it though.. =/
But before I go into detective mode trying to figure out what might have caused it, and unless someone else knows here, I suggest you contact Lord J. His email in the 'about' section in the editor. He is a really nice guy, and will get back to you, probably with a fix. He has fixed other dialog related error things in the past for others, so I'd say that's your best bet.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
hmmm if I were you

I would do the dialog editing separately and then export it

when you are done import it

or @ the very least make a patch with only dialog changes

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
This is not really dead on topic but somewhat related: When you import dialogs can you have in your dialog files captions (dialog boxes) that have not yet been created yet?
And I imagine the file must have the same format as the file that is created when you're exporting?

I'm asking because I edit dialogs as I go with FF3usME and never used the import feature...
  Find

Status
None
You can have empty captions. The game should normally have 3082, I believe. The last few of mine are empty now because trash somehow got into it, but that's resolvable.
Not sure how it handles adding more, due to the pointer table.

EDIT: And it's still randomly doing this. this is growing irritating, honestly.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
I'd hit up J about it, if its some kind of bug or something he would love to know about it.
The man is a machine when it comes to fixing issues caused by his editor, if that is the case.
So you ARE using the expanded dialog patch? Also, when does the error occur? Upon saving or trying to open the Dialog Editor or where exactly?

Status
None
So far as I can tell it may be caused by the dialogue formatting I was using, and I can't really tell when it's inserting the garbage. It's not doing it now though.

I was using brackets to add quotes, but I'm wondering if those are conflicting with the brackets the editor uses for formatting when it imports.
  Find

Status
None
The issue appears to be with multiple saves. Lord J says to close and re-open before saving again if you've saved once, until he can fix the bug in 6.8. Apparently i'm not the first to have this problem.

There's also a data overlap with expanded dialogue and expanded maps, so at present you can only seem to use one or the other. Fortunately, I'm not editing maps at present.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(01-23-2012, 10:47 AM)dee_ehn Wrote: The issue appears to be with multiple saves. Lord J says to close and re-open before saving again if you've saved once, until he can fix the bug in 6.8. Apparently i'm not the first to have this problem.

ahh, yeah. I have the same issue with my ROM, the saving more than once destroying the ROM thing. It didn't sound like that was the problem though, I would have suggested that right away, since its been plaguing me for about a year now. Hopefully he will be able to fix that up, but yes for now be sure and close after you hit save once, and make back-ups of your ROM regularly.