Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What's the quickest method of fixing the last 4 colors problem?

Status
None
I've made a sprite sheet, but didn't know they couldn't use the last 4 colors of a palette in battle. I wonder which is the most effective method of fixing the sheet? I've thought of changing the colors around, but that could mess up other characters. Do I have to recolor everything again? Thanks in advance.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
it depends how bad you messed up on the sprite

u might need to redo the whole thing manually

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(01-06-2012, 11:07 PM)Greed Wrote: I've made a sprite sheet, but didn't know they couldn't use the last 4 colors of a palette in battle. I wonder which is the most effective method of fixing the sheet? I've thought of changing the colors around, but that could mess up other characters. Do I have to recolor everything again? Thanks in advance.

Here's the list of the order of the colors and what they are assigned to for all characters in each palette:

1. transparent
2. outline (black)
3. eyes (White)
4. pupils
5. hair (lighter shade)
6. hair (darker shade)
7. skin (lighter tone)
8. skin (darker tone)
9. outfit 1 (lighter shade)
10. outfit 1 (darker shade)
11. outfit 2 (lighter shade)
12. outfit 2 (darker shade)
13. NPC -don't use won't show up in battle
14. NPC -don't use won't show up in battle
15. NPC -don't use won't show up in battle
16. NPC -don't use won't show up in battle

If say you have changed the color designated for eyes and put it as something for clothes or hair as well as made the two skin colors and had this particular sprite use 11-12 and made the second outfit colors use the color 7-8. Then yes you have messed up the palette for all the sprites.

However it would seem as if you had only completed a single sprite sheet. All you need to do is make sure that the colors follow the above order and you will have everything fixed. I realize that it will be a pain losing 4 entire colors but unfortunately there isn't any known way to make them appear in battle. I hope you found this helpful.
  Find

Status
None
Hmmm, that list was helpful. Luckily it was a plain sprite and I happened to only use 4 colors on the outfit anyway(just shades of grey: I wanted a cyborg guy). It appears 13-16 is being replaced by 9-12 so it shouldn't be hard to fix. Thanks for the tips.

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Status
None
You are very welcome, I'm glad to have been of assistance.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
Sorry for a big of necroing, but I'm curious; don't some characters in FF6 share color palettes? And if so, is there a list of who shares which palette? I can't recall ever seeing one.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-05-2012, 10:48 AM)DarkPhoenix Wrote: Sorry for a big of necroing, but I'm curious; don't some characters in FF6 share color palettes? And if so, is there a list of who shares which palette? I can't recall ever seeing one.

Yeah most of the share palettes. There is the overworld and battle palette which are different for morphed terra too. I did a quick list but I didn't go as far as checking for NPCs. The palette numbers are in FF3usME for each character...

Quote:ID: Name OverW Battle

00: Terra 2 2
01: Locke 1 1
02: Cyan 4 4
03: Shadow 4 4
04: Edgar 0 0
05: Sabin 0 0
06: Celes 0 0
07: Strago 3 3
08: Relm 3 3
09: Setzer 4 4
0A: Moogles 5 5
0B: Gau 3 3
0C: Gogo 3 3
0D: Umaro 5 5
0E: Brown soldier 1 1
0F: Imp 0 0
10: Leo 0 0
11: Banon 3 3
12: Terra(morph) 8 6
13: Merchant 1 1
14: Ghost 0 0
15: Kefka 3 3

This is the best I could do to align the numbers because in code tags it looks all messed up...
  Find

Status
None
(03-05-2012, 11:49 AM)Madsiur Wrote: Yeah most of the share palettes. There is the overworld and battle palette which are different for morphed terra too. I did a quick list but I didn't go as far as checking for NPCs. The palette numbers are in FF3usME for each character...

I wonder why they decided to do that. But that's probably why Esper Terra actually seems to be different colors (clearly, her map sprite is pink, and her battle sprite is purple).

So AFAICS, it's...

0 - Edger, Sabin, Celes, Imp, Leo, Ghost
1 - Locke, Brown Soldier, Merchant
2 - Terra
3 - Strago, Relm, Gau, Gogo, Banon, Kefka
4 - Cyan, Shadow, Setzer
5 - Moogles, Umaro
6 - Esper Terra (battle)
8 - Esper Terra (map)

I'm assuming the missing numbers are for NPC's?

I was interested because I've been playing through Final Fantasy 6: A Complete Hack, and it's pretty hilarous, but I find myself put off by the HORRIBLE sprite work in the game, and I'm strongly tempted to do some substitution...
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-05-2012, 12:21 PM)DarkPhoenix Wrote: I'm assuming the missing numbers are for NPC's?

Well palette 6 is used as a placeholder for switching layers colors and I believe NPCs share palettes 1 to 6 too. The chocobo and magitek armor share palette 7. The rest of the palettes are for inanimate objects for the most part...

(03-05-2012, 12:21 PM)DarkPhoenix Wrote: I was interested because I've been playing through Final Fantasy 6: A Complete Hack, and it's pretty hilarous, but I find myself put off by the HORRIBLE sprite work in the game, and I'm strongly tempted to do some substitution...

I saw this hack on YouTube and it looks horrible. The dialogues might be somehow funny, but it seems this hack lacks in a lot of departments. I can't judge too much because I haven't played it so...
  Find

Status
None
(03-05-2012, 01:07 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I saw this hack on YouTube and it looks horrible. The dialogues might be somehow funny, but it seems this hack lacks in a lot of departments. I can't judge too much because I haven't played it so...

I kinda like the concept (FF6 done FF1 style, with unnamed job characters in place of fleshed out characters) and periodically the dialogue makes me chuckle (Sabin's replacement is constantly complaining about not being able to punch things, Cyan's replacement always has the right horrible pun for any situation, and everyone's constantly making fun of Edgar's replacement for being an idiot, because he mostly is). However, the sprite work is downright atrocious; I always considered myself a terrible spriter, and I've done better work than some of the sprites in that game. The dancer one, which is not a good one to get wrong 'cause it's the replacement for the ever-present Moogle sprite, just looked FUBAR'ed.
  Find