Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Question about switching characters' palettes.

Status
None
Hello; I have been doing some sprite edits with FF3usME and Terii Senshi's editor, and I noticed none of them can change around the characters' overworld palettes. I searched around this forum for a way to change Sabin's palette from 0 to 2(in my case), and found this:

(03-30-2011, 01:21 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
ribbits Wrote:A bit of a different question, but still related to ff3usme6.7. In my attempts at hacking, my number 5 character (Sabin's normal spot) keeps switching the overworld sprite palette to 0 instead of 4 which is where it should be. The battle sprite always stays at 4 and that's where it should be. Any thoughts as to why the overworld sprite constantly switch backs to 0 and what can be done about it?

Thanks in advance.

You'll notice it says overworld palette index cannot be saved. So that's why it keeps reverting to the default.

To find what you are looking for in the hex, get a hold of the "event dump" document, and then do a search for "Assign palette $00 to character $05"
That will lead you right to where character 5's (Sabin's) palette gets loaded for the first, and only time for him throughout the game. Most characters palettes and graphics only get loaded once, but in some cases for characters like Strago and Shadow, theirs get loaded more times than one. Anyways...

On the left it will tell you that its located at the address "CA/6D2B" So you will want to go to that address in the hex editor...or alternatively you could just search for the appropriate string of hex, which in this case is "43, 05, 00" --- and you get that from this:

43 Assign palette $00 to character $05 <----- remember this?

"43" is the command byte for "assign palette" "00" is the palette being loaded, and "05" is the character the palette is being loaded to.

Just remember that in the hex, the character byte comes before the palette byte, so don't let the dump confuse you. Also remember to be in SNES Hi-Rom when you do your search. To search for "CA/6D2B" you would want to go to "search offset", and search "A6D2B" No need for the "C"
because you are already in the C bank due to being in Hi-Rom, and it will mess up your search...

So once you get there, what you would want to do then is change the "$00" to "$04" and your done. Save. Also note that if the character has already been recruited, it will appear as though nothing has changed, due to his prior palette already being loaded and saved with. So to test and see the changes you will have to play before the characters graphics and palette gets loaded, obviously.

If you still really have no idea how to do this I suggest looking at the "All Things Event Hacking" thread and reading "The Basics."

I have attempted this, and read the "basics" part as well, but I could not find the correct offset "A6D2B" in the SNES Hi-Rom. I searched for siad offset in a hex editor, and found a string of data not containing the numbers "43" or "05". What am I doing wrong? How can I change Sabin's palette from 0 to 2? Thanks in advance.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(01-05-2012, 09:24 PM)Greed Wrote: I could not find the correct offset "A6D2B" in the SNES Hi-Rom.

The offset A6D2B must be looked while having the hex editor in the "Display offset as linear" option. If you are looking for it in Hi-Rom, then the address to look for is CA/6D2B.

And, if your game has a header, you'll need to add +200 to the offset to find it.

In the picture below, my ROM has a header, so I'm showing the actual address at which you'll find the 43 05.
[Image: imgshk.png]

Status
None
I have searched for "A6D2B" with both "display offset as linear" and "display as Hi-Rom", and in both cases I get this:

[Image: imgshk.png]

What am I doing wrong? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by my ROM having a header...

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Assuming the ROM data is still correct there, try searching "A6F2B" (+200) instead, and see if that gets you to the right place. If it does, it means your ROM is headered. Go to address 00000000 and look for 200 bytes of 0s there. There's an option to remove the header there in windhex should you wish, to make life easier when searching for addresses.

A header is 200 bytes right at the start of the ROM data, mostly all zero's, used for identifying the game, the company that made it, how big it is, and other such information. Some patches and other things such as editors are made to be used with the ROM having a header, some are not, and most documentation is without it. So you gotta be careful.

When downloading ROMs around the net, you might see a [!] at the end, like Final Fantasy 3 1.0[!] that means it is headered. Should you wish to re-add the header after removing it, there's tools for that also like snestool. Keeping the header in mind at all times is painfully annoying, but very important.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
It worked, though oddly only FF3usMe can edit the sprites with the new palettes. Much thanks to both of you anyway.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
the latest version can only edit the battle palettes

the over world/town palettes needs to be done via hex

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC