Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Expanding ROM with FF3usME

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 7
Status
None
I'm having some problems with space. I expanded the ROM, and applied the Town Dialog Hack, which works great, I (should) have more than enough space to do the main dialogue.

My problem is with the battle scripts, I ran out of room on both, and applying the Monster Battle Scripts hack doesn't help. Is there something I'm missing?

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
The monster battle script patch is for battle (monster AI) scripts. It does not expand the battle dialogs (small and big quotes). I think maybe you mix those two....

One solution would be to manually move the battle dialogs, modify the pointers if there's any and modify any concerned subroutines with the new offsets. Then you could hex edit the dialogs and dump text in the ROM I believe. I never looked too closely to that but I think it's possible to move/edit those dialogs manually.
  Find

Status
None
(01-02-2012, 01:45 AM)Madsiur Wrote: The monster battle script patch is for battle (monster AI) scripts. It does not expand the battle dialogs (small and big quotes). I think maybe you mix those two...

Yep, I sure did. Ah crap...

Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Maybe you know that already, but for the small quotes you can clear dialogs 006A to 0071 which are for the 8 dragons but were never used in the game. This would free around 300 bytes so you could maybe fit all the GBA small quotes.

I don't know if there's any unused battle dialogs however (big quotes).
  Find

Status
None
(01-05-2012, 02:02 AM)Madsiur Wrote: Maybe you know that already, but for the small quotes you can clear dialogs 006A to 0071 which are for the 8 dragons but were never used in the game. This would free around 300 bytes so you could maybe fit all the GBA small quotes.

I don't know if there's any unused battle dialogs however (big quotes).
Thanks for the help! I did know about the unused dialogs, but unfortunately I only have room to show down to dialog 0074, and that's after deleting 006A-0071.

The big quotes are close to fitting... I have enough room to fit 221 out of 255 Sad

There are some other unused lines I found from this site that I may get around to deleting:
http://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_VI

Find