Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
Title: MP Cost - The Lost 3rd digit .IPS patch
Author: Gi Nattak
Last updated on 5-27-13
Download

Description:
This is a small ASM hack that allows the MP cost in both the MP cost window and the MP cost that pops up in the spell when you press the 'Y' button to display 3 digits, so if you want or plan to have a spell go over 99 (2 digits) MP cost and properly show that in the MP cost window and the spell list, this is the patch to use. Due to not ever needing to go over 2 digits in the original game the hundred digit is not programmed to show up in the menu, but it shows up fine in battle. This can't really be considered a bug fix, just a patch intended for hackers in mind.

[Image: o150m.png] [Image: o150w.png]

[Image: p150m.png] [Image: p150w.png]

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Angelo26 (11-22-2011), kanbei as cyan (01-21-2013), Warrax (06-13-2013)

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Bravo, bravo. Smile
Great job man. I'll be applying this patch to my hack once I feel ready to add your patches. Some of them require me to be almost completely done in order to apply them because I can't really edit the rom in FF3usME otherwise.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am using this bro

Dark Mage might even find this useful

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Status
Regen
This issue always bugged me, no pun intended. Laugh

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Nice Nice!! Awesome Job Nattak, will include this fix with my patch.

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Status
None
Great Job! I love patches like this Laugh

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
This is a nice patch! I'm probably gonna use this too.

It's probably gonna restrict a player to spam ultima if the mp cost is 334!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Status
Nattak\'d
(11-22-2011, 05:19 PM)Madsiur Wrote: This is a nice patch! I'm probably gonna use this too.

Thanks! But without further editing, the max MP cost is still limited to 255, but that's still a hefty cost! =D

I got my Ultima here currently costing a whopping 190 MP, so Economizer is pretty much going to be abused even more now. Thankfully, Leno's wonderful Economizer patch makes it cost 1/3 the cost, as opposed to just 1 measly MP.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(11-22-2011, 06:08 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(11-22-2011, 05:19 PM)Madsiur Wrote: This is a nice patch! I'm probably gonna use this too.

Haha, well, the max MP cost is still limited to 255, but that's still a hefty cost! =D I got mine here currently costing 190 MP.

Maybe I pushed a bit too far! Tongue A mp cost of 190 is good for a strong spell, as it would limit the player to cast a maximum of 5 times that spell before having to use an elixir or a hi-ether.

Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Status
Nattak\'d
I noticed there is a sort of ugly little extra side effect that comes with this patch that slipped by me when I was testing...please, allow me to explain - before you guys start hucking rocks at me! Hold on

What is happening, is it is adding on to a pre-existing bug in the original game, where if you look at a spell in the spell list, (MP cost...) or just another skill that is longer than 4 characters, and then exit and look at another skill menu like Lore, or Rage, or -anything- shorter than "MP..._____", (<--- the max character length for a skill name) it shows the extra letters or digits from the MP still there in the small upper right MP cost window.

Like I say, this is present in the original game as they didn't compensate for the inevitable extra space that hangs on from menu to menu in the skill table. It just never effected the word "Espers" before, like it does with this patch, that's all!

Original bug (Looked at the Esper menu where the word "Espers" is displayed in the small MP cost window, then the Lore menu right after):

[Image: imgshk.png]
Loreres!?!? ...wtf? How can you leave a menu bug like this in, Square!? CoverHit

Well, since I added on another digit to the MP cost of spells or whatever, it further escalates the bug. (although I'm still not sure why it is doing this really, all I did was splice the code from spell MP cost digits, into what's basically the exact same code + 1 more digit that is Lore MP cost.) It now does the same thing for "Espers". Crazy, I know~!!

Extra buggyness cause by this patch (After looking at a spell with the cost of 5 MP):

[Image: imgshk.png]

So it looks like moving the entire skill table to free space in C3 is the next step, so we can then add the appropriate spaces after all the words and eradicate all traces of this issue once and for all. So umm...there will be an update here soon for that.

For now, I've updated this patch with an Anti-patch, should you wish to revert back to "normal". It's just a small little issue though, and will be resolved here shortly by either myself or Angelo26, so please bare with me/us.

Updated Link with Anti-patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?q5c4en9ekv5k705