Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Update to my site

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
I've also uploaded the following new EasyType mods...

Super Famicom/Super Nintendo:
-Final Fantasy II EasyType
-7th Saga EasyType
-Arcana EasyType
-Breath of Fire EasyType
-Breath of Fire II EasyType
-Live a Live EasyType
-Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals EasyType
-Mystic Ark EasyType
-Paladin's Quest EasyType
-Rudra no Hihou EasyType

GameBoy:
-Final Fantasy Legend III EasyType

I've been busy these past 3 days. Laugh

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
ooo I remember final fantasy 3 legend.......that takes me BACK!

the funny thing about it that I remember (and to this day still makes me say WTF) is when you eat meat, you turn in to a cyborg LMFAO

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 237
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I'm probably going to try your Paladin's Quest Easy type during the christmas holidays. I remember renting this game when I was young but I never finished it. Every weekend or two I was renting it, I had to start over because someone else had saved over my file. I was so mad...
  Find

Status
Regen
Released the following today:

Famicom/NES:
Final Fantasy III EasyType

Super Famicom/SNES:
Secret of Mana EasyType

MegaDrive/Genessis:
Shining in the Darkness EasyType <-- Quite proud of this one!

More coming soon...

(11-19-2011, 02:29 PM)Poco Loco Wrote: ooo I remember final fantasy 3 legend.......that takes me BACK!

the funny thing about it that I remember (and to this day still makes me say WTF) is when you eat meat, you turn in to a cyborg LMFAO

FFL3 was one of those games that had it's quirky moments but in the end it was a fantastic RPG. It is one of my all-time favorites...but behind FFL2 at least in the series.

(11-20-2011, 12:35 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I'm probably going to try your Paladin's Quest Easy type during the christmas holidays. I remember renting this game when I was young but I never finished it. Every weekend or two I was renting it, I had to start over because someone else had saved over my file. I was so mad...

Excellent. Please feel free to take notes, screenshots and locate any bugs I need to fix! I am in desperate need of beta testing on all of my EasyTypes.

So far today...

Famicom/NES:
Final Fantasy III EasyType

Nintendo Super Famicom/Super Nintendo:
-Secret of Mana EasyType

Sega MegaDrive / Genesis:
-Phantasy Star II EasyType
-Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom EasyType
-Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium EasyType
-Shining in the Darkness EasyType
-Sword of Vermilion EasyType <-- This one was a major pain in the butt! But it is my favorite Sega RPG so I had to do it!

Time for some sleep... zZzzZzzZzz

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
The concept of Easy-Type sounds neat, but what are you actually editing in these hacks?

I'm kind of assuming from how quickly you're putting them out that you're simply buffing the PCs and lowering stat numbers on the randoms/bosses?

Something more interesting for a LOT of these oldschool RPGs would be if you could lower the encounter rate, or add items that stop encounters (a la Moogle Charm).

Status
Regen
(11-21-2011, 12:05 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: The concept of Easy-Type sounds neat, but what are you actually editing in these hacks?

I'm kind of assuming from how quickly you're putting them out that you're simply buffing the PCs and lowering stat numbers on the randoms/bosses?

That's exactly what I'm doing. I don't want to completely remove the fact that it is a game after all. I decided against removing random encounters and adding other features because the game(s) should still be experienced as-is. Just wanted to make them easier so the player doesn't die or have to restart/respawn.

Other mods would be planned for some of these games, but, for the most part they are what they are. The same game, just easier.

Status
None
I looked through your site, and it looks like you aren't just making it -easy-, but you've just set every character's level to 99.

While indeed, this DOES make a game easier without producing many bugs, it also takes away the one thing that RPGs are known for - a sense of progression. If there's no more levelling up, then there's really no more game.

It feels more like you've made a save state where someone just grinded experience on low-level slimes for 100 hours before handing the game off to someone else to play.

I can see it being useful for someone who just wants to see the story, but there's literally no challenge left if you're trying to 'keep in mind that it's a game'.

I would think an Easy-Type hack would be more like lowering stats of enemies or increasing EXP gains more quickly. Or better yet, removing some of the cheap skills that monsters use or speeding up how quickly the player receives interesting skills.

If you just start the player off as a God, there's no more 'game' to play. While I'm not saying there's no place for this (there is, some people just want to steamroll a game), I'm thinking you might want to rename your project here. This is more like a collection of "God-Mode Hacks" rather than "Easy-Type Hacks".

Status
Regen
(11-21-2011, 05:48 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: I looked through your site, and it looks like you aren't just making it -easy-, but you've just set every character's level to 99.

While indeed, this DOES make a game easier without producing many bugs, it also takes away the one thing that RPGs are known for - a sense of progression. If there's no more levelling up, then there's really no more game.

It feels more like you've made a save state where someone just grinded experience on low-level slimes for 100 hours before handing the game off to someone else to play.

I can see it being useful for someone who just wants to see the story, but there's literally no challenge left if you're trying to 'keep in mind that it's a game'.

I would think an Easy-Type hack would be more like lowering stats of enemies or increasing EXP gains more quickly. Or better yet, removing some of the cheap skills that monsters use or speeding up how quickly the player receives interesting skills.

If you just start the player off as a God, there's no more 'game' to play. While I'm not saying there's no place for this (there is, some people just want to steamroll a game), I'm thinking you might want to rename your project here. This is more like a collection of "God-Mode Hacks" rather than "Easy-Type Hacks".

I appreciate and respect your opinion, but I disagree slightly. I'm dealing with a sinus infection and having a very bad day so I will forgo the debate because it may come across rude--and that wouldn't be my intent. ;)

I think the crux of the issue is the actual name "EasyType", that name means different things to different people. Using the literal sense of the word, I have indeed created "EasyTypes". Using the subjective sense of the word, that is in the eye of the beholder and is up to the player to decide. Only a few of these games have I set the level to 99 from the start, a majority of them still have level ups throughout the game as normal. And only a small amount of those have monsters that give massive experience, like what 5 or 6 of the 23 total?. You can still progress through each of these games 100% as if you were playing it, you just don't have to worry about dying or being in battles for more than a minute or two.

I'm open to suggestions that change that name, however, I was a little happy using these logos on my website. Especially since I did the HardType one myself. :(

[Image: EasyType_Logo_lg.png]
[Image: HardType_Logo_lg.png]

So if you can use that as a template and make me another logo with another name to call them I'm 100% up for it. :D

Status
None
Hmm... I suppose it mainly is a name issue. I feel it's a little misleading. I was just kind of disappointed when I looked through your site, expecting more extensive changes. I thought maybe others might have the same feeling.

Additionally, since you claimed that you wanted to 'keep in mind that the game is in fact a game', I just thought I'd offer some suggestions on game design. But if that's not really your goal, then by all means keep making quality steamroll-type savestates. I know there's been quite a few games where I just wanted to curbstomp it and get it over with (Wild Arms XF comes to mind). Again, I would suggest a different name, but if nomenclature's the only issue, it hardly seems worth the trouble.

Status
Regen
(11-22-2011, 02:35 AM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: Hmm... I suppose it mainly is a name issue. I feel it's a little misleading. I was just kind of disappointed when I looked through your site, expecting more extensive changes. I thought maybe others might have the same feeling.

Additionally, since you claimed that you wanted to 'keep in mind that the game is in fact a game', I just thought I'd offer some suggestions on game design. But if that's not really your goal, then by all means keep making quality steamroll-type savestates. I know there's been quite a few games where I just wanted to curbstomp it and get it over with (Wild Arms XF comes to mind). Again, I would suggest a different name, but if nomenclature's the only issue, it hardly seems worth the trouble.

I definitely understand your point. That is one of the reasons why I made sure to include exactly what I changed on both the site and the included readme file so the game player knows what is it they are downloading to play so they won't be either confused or get let down. That was one of the precise reasons why I wanted to get those pages up on my site with the description and images to show what it was all about, originally, I had just made these for me but thought the community would enjoy at least a few of them. Does that make sense?

And, I do welcome anyone to come up with a good alternate name for these types of mods as long as I can get it to work with the graphical style of the logo I posted. :)

Any takers? :D