Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sword Swing Assembly Question

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Something I've been wanting to do for awhile since I began hacking weapon animations is have every weapon that can be swung be swung like "Ragnarok".
(The image below depicts a new weapon animation that replaces Ragnarok)

I've got little to no skill when it comes to assembly; however, it seems like setting up every weapon to swing like Ragnarok and etc would be as simple as changing the assembly that points to the "slash" after the sword-above-head animation to the "swing down, sword at torso" frame. I could (and probably am) be entirely wrong, but it's a guess. In essence, replace all "slash" animation after "sword-above-head" with "sword-at-torso". I've looked around in all of the banks and couldn't find much of anything related to the keywords I searched: Ragnarok, Swing, Slash, Sword.
I did however find the following in the "C1 Bank".
Code:
C1/9DB8:    BF00E4EC    LDA $ECE400,X    (Weapon graphics and sound)

[Image: 22k.gif]
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Though I don't understand any of the code around the load function
Code:
C1/9DB8:    BF00E4EC    LDA $ECE400,X

This is how I would guess the code is working: Somehow the address in which graphics and sound are located for each weapon is read. Each weapon might have a maximum number of bytes, say...8? The game looks for the first weapon, assigns the animations and sounds, and jumps to the next 8 bytes or so to look for the next weapon animation and sounds.

The best bet for you would be to use MDE and copy/paste the bytes for the ragnarok weapon to all the swords you'd like, since messing with it might mess up the animation and sound data for other weapons...like the flail, daggers, and so on.

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
[Image: imgshk.png]
I don't think it'll work quite like that unfortunately. The two "1E's are what the Ragnarok are. If I use those bytes for all my weapons, all of my weapons would look like the Ragnarok. The hit graphic (00) is the slash you see occurring over the monster sprite. I'd need to copy down whatever makes Ragnarok have the sword above head and sword at torso frames appear on all the weapons I'd like.
  Find