Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
hex palette overworld tutorial

Status
None
Can someone please make a tutorial on how to exactly swap palettes for overworld characters?

With that said, i'm a noob, but i did a little bit of research before posting. So i know that you can only swap the palettes (i.e. switching palette from 3 to 4) using the windhex. I tried following the poco loco's tutorial and i managed to change the battle sprites color but the same steps don't really translate well for the overworld sprites as you can't just swap 00 for 01 etc. From the last post i read, it seemed that you had to edit the script where the sprite first appeared...so that it would carry over for the rest of the game? I don't know but please make a tutorial for this and i'm sure it would decrease the frequency of similar postings.

I apologize if a tutorial is around or my question has been answered or that i posted it in the wrong part of the forums...please move it to where it should be. Thanks

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
I never get tired of answering this one. Laugh

What you need to do, is get a hold of the EVENT DUMP document, and search for the instance where the characters graphics and palette is loaded (note that many characters have more then one instance) and make the change. You can only assign overworld palettes 0-7. Not 9 as suggested in poco's tutorial, as it goes right back to palette 0 after 7 due to the game not being programmed by default to ever use any after 7 for the characters and NPC's ;[

So as an example, let's say you want to change Terra's Palette...
You would want to find the address of the instance where she receives her palette.

-Narshe Cliffs opening scene-
CA/5E3C: 3F Assign character $00 (Actor in stot 0) to party 1
CA/5E3F: 37 Assign graphics $00 to object $00 (Actor in stot 0)
---> CA/5E42: 43 Assign palette $02 to character $00 (Actor in stot 0) <---

$43 is the command "load palette", $02 is the actual palette being loaded, and $00 is the character (Terra.)

Open up the hex editor and go to that address, (search for A5E42 while in Hi-ROM with your ROM unheadered. You should see the byte string 43, 00, 02 upon searching. Yes, the bytes are reversed from what the dump says, this is normal. If you do not see those exact bytes, your ROM is headered, so just add +200 bytes to the original address = A6042 and simply change the $00 to anything 00-07.

Also, changing overworld objects and NPC's palettes can be done with the Level Editor.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
For the Terra example, she actually gets her palette assigned a few times. I know there's the one scene in Figaro castle where they just randomly turn Terra into Edgar for the events of Burning Figaro, and then change it back afterwards (Oh, FF3 coding~). I'm pretty sure if you don't change all of these instances, then you'll end up with the default palette setups.

Pretty sure that most PCs have at least 2 palette assigning events - one in the WoB and one in the WoR. A few of them have more (Shadow, I think? I can't recall without the event dump), and few have less (like Gogo, who only has one recruitment).

Status
None
awesome thanks for the help! Hopefully it will work, unfortunately i have to take a test on wednesday and i'll be gone outta town til sunday so hopefully i can get some time to try it out before sunday...can't wait