Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Pet Project - FFR

Status
None
Ehllo everybody, i think i may have bitten off more then i can chew with what i intend to do.

What i am currently doing:
Editing text and graphics.

What i am having trouble with:
What i want to do is add anywhere from an extra 50 to 100 items ranging from consumables to relics, add a couple more playable characters, abilities, espers, spells, and perhaps change up the music, and change add a few events.

If you haven't guessed it already, I'm an optimist.

Sadly, I don't have the slightest idea how to accomplish the majority of these tasks. If anybody could direct me to where i might find the knowledge and tools that i might need to accomplish said tasks, i would be most grateful.

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Almost everything you want to do on your list is considered to be incredibly daunting to say the least. I myself have no idea how to go about adding more items, other than it is going to require you to learn a considerably large amount of ASM hacking (everything there is to know XD.) Adding anything NEW like that stuff (spells, skills, characters) is just not gonna happen without learning ASM.

There is no editor or anything "simple" that can do what you are asking. You will have to not only greatly alter the existing Square code, but create/develop whole new code as well, I assume. As for the music hacking, there is a tutorial on this site, and that is your best bet there.

Event hacking is by far the easiest of what you want to do, and yet it is still incredibly challenging. But I suggest you start there. There's been a lot of event hacking related posts here recently, might want to check a few of those out first to get a general idea of how to go about it.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
sorry to say, it cant be done, unless u revamp the actual hardware completely from scratch

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
For the amount of work you're wanting to do, it's probably best if you wait on this to get completed:

http://ff6sdk.webs.com/

Using that, doing what you're wanting to do would be pretty simple. However, the SNES rom simply can't hold that much data without a ton of workarounds.

Of course, the downfall is the developer has said it will likely be at least another year before it's complete, though he has added rom integration for those that would like to hack the rom in the meantime and add that information into the SDK later.

Status
None
Now i know how cyan feels Sweat

@:Gi Nattak, I have heard about ASM hacking before, how much knowledge of programing is needed to ASM hack?

@:HaloOfTheSun, It looks like it will be a very powerful program when its complete, kudos to its creator.
@Tongueoco Loco, I prefer the term *Highly Improbable* Laugh

At any rate, it seems that I have quite a bit of research to do ;[

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I've been studying ASM for a month or so now. From the bit that I understand, and what I understand about the structure of FF6 (and all ROMS for that matter), adding anything to the game would be next to impossible. You would really have to rewrite the entire ROM. So, what you are wanting to do would be quite daunting and require expert knowledge of ASM. But, if you are that intent on this project, here's a good place to start: http://www.romhacking.net/start/

Good luck!
  Find

Threads: 5
Status
None
You'd have an easier time rewriting the game from scratch in something like VX or Ruby. Dargor's work is pretty exciting though. It inspired me to check out wxRuby/RGSS and I'm blown away so far by its simplicity. Be sure to favorite Dargor's progress thread on your bookmarks!

http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic....a23a185fd3

It'll be revolutionary for FF6 fans.

Edit: Don't I discourage hacking FF6 either, only that with the amount of things you want done isn't feasible without years of dedication. Hacking FF6 is the ONLY way to truly get an authentic Final Fantasy experience. Smile
  Find

Threads: 1
Status
None
Interesting Data.

I'm da stress kitty!!!
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
(06-16-2011, 09:27 PM)KajDarkwind Wrote: I've been studying ASM for a month or so now. From the bit that I understand, and what I understand about the structure of FF6 (and all ROMS for that matter), adding anything to the game would be next to impossible. You would really have to rewrite the entire ROM. So, what you are wanting to do would be quite daunting and require expert knowledge of ASM. But, if you are that intent on this project, here's a good place to start: http://www.romhacking.net/start/

Good luck!

I'm no assembly expert, although I know of places in the rom that can be utilized for free space. You could add in your own assembly and tie it in with the code theoretically, as long as you don't go over the allotted space.
I made a patch which relocated some data so you could have more weapons and animations with them by moving that data to the empty non-used 2FFDC8.
  Find