Portraits in Dialog Boxes (Notes)

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Email conversation between me and Lord J:
Quote:Zeemis:
Is there any way to add E7 to the DTE text editor so it displays a portrait?
Here is an excerpt from the event commands as an example.
E7 : 02 : Show portrait for character A

"02" being the portrait ID
Or: Can you make an editor to use the Event Command E7 to display Portraits alongside dialog text? I know that the Event Command already exists, but is it too much trouble to ask for an editor that will align the Portraits correctly next to the corresponding Dialog box?

Quote:Lord J:
Hi Zeemis. The E7 opcode your are refering may belong to the game script. The dialog script contains opcodes of it's own, and <E$E7> (<E4xx> as seen in the FF3usME dialog dump) doesn't yield any positive results on my side. You could bring this topic on the forum, but it is my opinion that dialog portraits should be handled by the dialog script. And a quicker answer to this question would be to take a peek at the FF6Adv. script. You should get in contact with Drakkhen for this, I think he's one of the few to have been mining this specific ROM.

If dialog script it is, then, FF3us / FF6j doesn't *seem* to have opcodes ready / dummied to do that. So your best bet would be to port the assembly code from the game script to the dialog handling subroutines.

If not, then I guess it's getting to call the proper code inside the dialog window subroutine.

On the subject of dialog opcodes, I'm listing here the opcode that are likely to not be of any use. They seem to be refering to a placeholder subroutine that does a short delay. One of these opcodes could very well be of use for the said dialog script patch.

<E$00> (better not tamper with this one, just in case)
<E$14>
<E$15>
<E$16>
<E$19>
<E$1A>
<E$1B>
<E$1E>
<E$1F>
<E$21> - <E$29>
<E$2B> - <E$FE>
  Find

Messages In This Thread