Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Theorycrafting - Turn FF6 into FF4?

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Moog
I'm actually working on something like this. I'm not very far along, though, since it is an involved process that involves every aspect of the ROM (dialogue, events, enemies, graphics, and maps).

The goal of recreating FF4 in FF6 is to adopt the FF6 aesthetic for the Lunarian Struggle story. The games are quite different, though, so it requires a lot of leniency on not only game mechanics but the plot itself. For instance, while the Serpent's Trench is a third world map, it does not have any collision data... it exists solely for cinematic purposes. To give it that information would mean re-working how the map functions, thus requiring a custom editor to handle it and thereby defeating the point of having an editor already available.

As for FF6 character commands, some of them can be creatively repurposed to become FF4 commands. For instance, making Rage into Recall lets you choose the spell Tellah will cast. 25% of the time it'll go off for free. 75% of the time, he'll act like he's berserk. Assassin's alphabetical rage patch can be used to truncate the rage list to say 24 entries, and since FF4 has significantly fewer enemies than FF6, the extras can be 'recall' dummies. You plop them invisibly into a battle and presto-at the end of the battle Tellah miraculously remembers one of his old spells. SwdTech can be used to charge more powerful kicks or dark waves. That's just the tip of the iceberg; there's lots that can be done without changing the battle engine too much.

But it's an endurance test. Even changing the maps can take an enormous amount of time (I know, I've been working on cities), and you have to be willing to deviate from the source material.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Theorycrafting - Turn FF6 into FF4? - by DrakeyC - 02-09-2021, 11:06 AM
RE: Theorycrafting - Turn FF6 into FF4? - by C-Dude - 02-09-2021, 12:10 PM