Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Patch: Variable-Width Small Font for Longer Names

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
OK, after another week of work I've landed the following additional alpha-quality, lightly-tested work in the GitHub repo:
  • The variable-width font is used for to display the long item and equipment names from GBA release in the Item menu, the Equip menu, the Relic menu, and shops.
  • Also, the VWF is used for long item names in the Item, Throw, and Tools menus during encounters.
  • The Colosseum menus now use the VWF for long enemy names and item names.
  • Gau's Rages use the variable-width font for the long enemy names, both during encounters and in the menus. Note that the Rage menu becomes single-column in order to save on VRAM space. (Don't worry, it's still double-column in encounters--the issue is theoretically fixable but would be a pain.)
  • Magitek abilities use a variable-width font to fit the GBA names in encounters.
  • Mog's Dances use a variable-width font to fit the GBA names, both in encounters and the menu.
  • Sabin's Blitzes use their GBA names in the menu. The code that displays the long names from Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition was adapted to VWF.
  • The patch tries to be optionally compatible with the Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition. If you want to combine the two patches, apply the variable-width patch after TWUE.
I think this covers most of the cases in which variable-width fonts help avoid abbreviation in Final Fantasy 6. (Of course, in the future they still might be nice to use, even when not needed, just for consistency's sake.) I haven't yet lengthened names of spells, Espers, and Strago's Lores because the TWUE patch already does the work necessary to make the GBA names fit. (Also, spells in particular would be difficult with the way the patch is set up because the spell list has a lot of text.)

Known issues:
  • Variable-width font names can take a few frames to update when a new menu appears. This is because the patch is conservative and would rather wait to update a name than risk running out of VBLANK time and corrupting the screen (I suspect this is the problem with Bisqwit's Chrono Trigger VWF patch on accurate emulators). FF6 tends to use a lot of VRAM bandwidth already and often times there isn't much available. Nevertheless I think this can eventually be improved quite a bit.
  • The scrollbar in Gau's Rage menu is jumpy and can fall off the screen.
I plan to spend some time tomorrow testing and hopefully fixing whatever issues I run into. If all goes well I'll post a new IPS patch afterward.
  Find
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to tachiweasel for this post:
  • madsiur (12-15-2020), seibaby (12-15-2020), SSJ Rick (12-16-2020), Warrax (12-20-2020)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patch: Variable-Width Font for Long Enemy Names - by tachiweasel - 12-15-2020, 05:01 AM