Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: Variable-Width Small Font for Longer Names

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(12-09-2020, 05:52 PM)SilentEnigma Wrote: The first thing may be to address the conflict you have with the big font (?), which I hope is not insurmountable.
A lot of other names (like items) frequently display alongside big font text within the field menu.

I think the solution may be to cancel all my pending DMA requests when a text box opens. The problem is that my code will queue up DMA until it's confident FF6 isn't doing any DMA on a frame. This helps to avoid glitches from running out of VBLANK time, but it does mean that if FF6 starts hogging all the bandwidth over many frames my DMA might take so long to run it could be invalid by the time it gets to proceed.

There shouldn't be any reason why big VWF text would be inherently incompatible with small VWF text (after all, big text appears alongside my small VWF text when the game announces ability names in battle), but we'll have to ensure that the space in VRAM where we write the small VWF text to is free, of course.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patch: Variable-Width Font for Long Enemy Names - by tachiweasel - 12-09-2020, 07:36 PM